General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sound system issue (factory amp/gps)

Old 05-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Sound system issue (factory amp/gps)

Heres the problem:
I have a 2009 Toyota Camry. I was unaware when I installed my Kenwood DNX5120 that the car had a factory amplifier. No problem, until I went to add the subs. The head unit only has a front preout, and a sub/rear preout. Clearly I am using the sub to power the amp and subs. So when the subs were installed, they used y cables to be able to listen to all of the speakers instead of cutting any off. Problem is, when this was hooked up, the front and rear speakers would constantly shift sounds.. occassionally it would get louder in the back, or fade to the front, etc. So there was alot of front to rear fading.

I eventually unhooked the rear speakers, so I am only powering the front with the front preout, and the rear.sub to the subs.

What I am looking to find out, is why there is constant fading? the y cables back there arent monster or anything, does that have something to do?

I have contemplated just changing the head unit to include one with front/rear/sub, or cutting out the factory amp, and getting new speakers with a 4 channel amp...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest asking this question at the Toyotanation website.

Have you contacted Kenwood for an advice? No doubt others have installed this unit in a Toyota product having a remote amp.

Is this the JBL amp?