General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

spark plug change - now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Cannot assume the teeth are shot, just that it has happens. Typically if the belt fails it breaks.

If you have a timing light can check timing. If light flashes at 10 degree BTC when cranking the belt should be OK.

Did you happen to disturb anything when changing the plugs? Any vacuum hoses disconnected?

The engine seems to be getting fuel.

Read the posts at the link below as may be helpful:

try starting this 95 camry 2.2L auto : spark,fuel and cranks but no fire - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Suggest you pickup a Haynes repair manual if not already having service info. If taking the car to a shop, Toyota is very expensive but typically does excellent work. Firestone tends to find repairs you don't need to make extra money, I don't recommend them. Suggest looking for a smaller shop. The car is easy enough to work on for someone with tools.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM

thanks for the link - will read it now

no didnt disturb any vacuum hoses - changing plugs on my camry is so easy thats why I love the car. Now Im torn because of the high mileage to maybe sunset it
I would let our local toyota dealer at least diagnosis before I decide to shop for another camry
Any suggestions for a good year to look for with a manual transmission - I do love my 95

I will try and pick up a timing light at the parts store this weekend
I do have a Haynes Manual - will read up on that this weekend too
thanks for all the help and suggestions

Old 11-15-2013, 08:10 PM

just finished the link you sent - you had two great suggestions that I will try
1. is crank engine with ignition system off (pull fuse) and listen for tempo to ensure equal compression
2. set belt at TDC and then check to make sure rotor points to cyl 1

question I have for #2 is can I remove the top timing belt cover and manually rotate timing belt to TDC or do I have to use the key and hope it lands on TDC

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

If physically checking cam/crank pulley timing suggest the following.

Remove upper cover. Rotate crankshaft CW using the crank pulley bolt and wrench until the hole in the cam pulley spoke is centered to the notch on top of the front upper cam bearing mount. This should put the cam pulley at the No 1 cylinder TDC position. The service info would cover this alignment as it used to set the cam to install the belt.

The crank pulley should be aligned with the 0 degree timing mark on the timing cover. If not there is a problem.

Unless you shifted position of the distributor (rotated it) the distributor timing should still be OK thus no need for a timing light. If the cam/crank pulleys are lined up as above remove distributor cap and look at were the rotor is. Should be at or close to No 1 cap electrode. Unless you rotated the distributor is should still be in the same location as when the engine did run. Thus no need to check it again.

The timing light was to allow checking cam/crank pulley alignment without taking off the cover.

As to replacement Camry. In 2002 Toyota went to a different 4 cylinder which had a few problems (2AZFE). An internet search on this engine and issues of oil burning and head bolt failure will turn up hits. The V6 is the better engine.

Avoid the 2007 car as this was not the best.

Your best bet are cars through 2001, V6 or 4 cylinder.

A per year search at Edmonds.com can find out what engines were offered with a manual shift. Manuals are much rarer then automatic.

Last edited by toyomoho; 11-16-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 PM

Thanks again for all the detailed advice. Made some progress this weekend.
Checked compression and rotor orientation at TDC per your suggestion. Both seem to be good. I can now see why a timing light would be useful!
So I read quite a bit everywhere since I figured I had spark, timing, compression and fuel.
I figured I know I have fuel but without a fuel pressure gauge who knows if I have enough.
I went with a hunch that I had a possible fuel system vapor lock. So I buttoned everything back up and shorted FP and +B again and cranked it until the cows came home. IT STARTED and made a horrible screech so I shut it down (plus I didnt have the garage door open).
Started it again - cranking and cranking this time it caught and made the screech ( I know everything sounds like a screech to me, sorry! maybe it was a possible belt whinning) but I kept giving it gas - it finally returned to my normal idle. Backed it out of the garage and I let it rev at 4000 rpm to maybe clear out whatever? I then test drove it and got a much better idea of my hesitation condition. It appears whenever I turn a corner and I didnt down shift enough I would get hesitation.
Then I could downshift and all would be fine. I live in a hilly area. It appears where I normally used to be able to take a corner and start up a slight incline in 3rd now requires me to downshift to 2nd. It also happenend on a straight away where I happened to hit 3rd just before the incline I could feel a little hesitation but didnt have to downshift.
I dont know if this points to the fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator or a vacuum leak or something else.
Any thoughts based on the symptoms now? I didnt try and restart it after the test drive,
I guess if it went back into vapor lock I will know next time I start it.
Thanks

Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Being a fuel return system any air bubbles should be pushed out of the system and into the fuel tank. Could be leak down of the fuel pump when engine off and no pressure at start up, fuel pressure regulator (low pressure) or bad pump (lack of fuel).

If the ign is OK,everything else and engine finally started would look at fuel issues. But still concerned about the screech. Is this a belt, bad water pump (rare but happens), timing belt idler, alternator or ? Use a section of hose as stethoscope to run the noise area down.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM

UPDATE - so after spinning my wheels I finally broke down and brought it to my local Toyota dealer. Apparently there was diesel in my fuel tank. So they siphoned the tank
and had to replace my NEW spark plugs. They said diesel fouls them. I paid $435 and when I went to pick it up it wouldnt start! I left it there and they called me and said they put more gas in it as they only put 2 gallons in. They put in 1/4 tank and it started. They told me to fill it right away. It still hesitates and sputters especially up hills. They said to keep topping off every day to disperse the diesel and it will clear itself as they couldnt get every bit of diesel out of the tank or gas system.

can a diesel nozzle fit into an unleaded tank? I have been pumping my own gas for over 30 years I am pretty sure I didnt pick diesel. How could this happen? Does anyone know how to track down the gas station? Would it be my last fillup when I noticed the problems?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Diesel? That would do the job!

This happens more often then thought but due to using the wrong pump, it is possible to fill a gasoline tank with diesel.

Would assume it was the last fill up. The diesel will mix with the gas however the resulting mixture doesn't burn or burn that well. Over time the mix will be used up as you keep adding more gas.

Did the dealer actually smell diesel, has happened a station tank has too much water. Sometimes if it is an ethanol blend the ethanol and gas are not mixed well, the result is a large percentage of ethanol.

Once the mix is used up the engine should work OK with no damage.

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 PM

yes - the dealer said they smelled diesel. They had a sample which I wanted but they tossed it. I am going to be in the area of the suspect station next week. My last 2 fill ups were from there so I have my receipts and will check the pump #'s to see if a diesel option was available at either of the pumps. Both receipts indicate I chose UNLEAD fuel.
I did call the gas station and they said they had no other complaints of failing cars.
I do think the tanker truck might have been there on one of the fill ups - dont know if he started to pump diesel and then quickly figured it out or if he stirred up something.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

If you want to pursue it call other auto shops in area asking if they had similar issues as yours. Check for any internet posts about this station and problems. Putting diesel into a stations gas tank does happen, see link below:

New Jersey Gas Station Accidentally Pumps Out Gas Mixed With Diesel

The station may state no other complaints to cover their rear ends.

Quick Reply: spark plug change - now wont start