General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Tansmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Default Tansmission Problems

I have a 1994 Camry LE w/ 2.2L w/ auto tranny. And i am having problems w. the tranny it was running perfect and then it does want to go in reverse i have to floor it and then it with go in to reverse but it is real rough and the drive when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd i have to let off the gas all the way and then it even wont shift in to 4th so i need some help. I all ready changed the transmission fluid and replaced the transmission filter. Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong.Please Help.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tansmission Problems

Suggest not to rev the engine and shifting into Reverse or the trans will be damaged! Try to park in locations that don't require backing up.

Does the trans shift in to Drive OK, any delay in shifting into Drive?

Check engine light on? O/D light blinking with ign on? Trans fluid at correct level?

Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 PM

Ya the o/d light does blink sometimes and the check engine light is on and i pulled a 71 code and took out the egr temp sensor and cleaned it pretty good but that didnt help so i think i have to clean out the egr valve. And the transmission fluid is good.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

EGR will not cause this issue, but rough idle, etc.

IF OD light blinking a code trans trouble code is stored. In the engine compartment look for a small box near on or near either the drivers or passengers strut tower. Under the lid will be the key to the terminals in the box, find the TE1 and E1 terminals

To check for codes turn ign switch on, push in O/D switch to turn ON. Using a section of wire jump the TE1 and E1 terminals.

If a code is stored the O/D light will blink out the two digit code in a series of flashes one number at a time. As in two flashes for 2, pause, then four flashes for 4 = Code 24. If more then one code the next one will be flashed out, if not the series will repeat.

If no codes stored the light will flash 2 times per second.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:12 AM

the o/d light just flashes repeatedly and its pretty quick could it be a sensor or something on the transmission or maybe a vacuum leak.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 AM

A continuous flash about 2 times/sec with no pauses says electrical part of transmission working Ok. You may have a mechanical problem such as one of the internal clutches.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:38 PM

ok before the problem started happening i read the codes but i pulled a pin out of the diagnostic port on it fell and i still cant find it. could that pin be the problem.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:17 AM

Why were you trying to pull codes when there wasn'ta problem? A missing pin would only inpede your ability to read codes from the diag. connector, I don't think it would cause your tranmission to malfunction. You can pull the solenoids and bench test them but I can't find which solenoids activate reverse, I think engaging an internal clutch gives you reverse. Maybe Toyomoho canexplain this better.There's not much you can do to diagnose a transmission without pressure readings.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

its not a diagnostic pin its some kind of connetor in the port it is soposed to come out i guess. And i did have a trouble code it was 71.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

It's a jumper pin. Find the pin or make something from cooper wire and re-jump the connectors.

If the car has a tachometer you can do a stall test on the trans to determine general condition.

Park the car in area where the front and back of car are clear. With trans fluid hot, firmly apply brake, shift into Drive. Fully depress accelerator and read max RPM, do the same in reverse. Don't conduct the test for more then 5 seconds. Post back with max RPM for both tests.

Quick Reply: Tansmission Problems