General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Question Throttle sticking

Hi - I cleaned my throttle body (95 camry) and IAC valve with CRC Mass Air flow sensor cleaner.
The guy at NAPA auto parts recommended the CRC product. It seems to have done a decent job but now when I give it the gas to start off the throttle sems to stick a bit.
Did this CRC product strip away any type of lubrication in the throttle body?
Or do you think when I manually moved the linkage to open the butterfly valve to clean
inside the throttle body past this plate I got something in the wire from operating it
manually with my hand? Any suggestions are appreciated on lubricating or unsticking
the throttle plate or wire linkage.
Thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM

Clean the inside of the TB with a toothbrush, and lube out side spray grease.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by the throttle sticks?

You push on the throttle pedal and feel resistance other then the spring on the throttle pulley?

How did you open the throttle, by rotating the throttle pulley by hand?

Have you check the throttle opener dash pot?

Spraying cleaner inside the throttle body should not cause sticking.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What do you mean by the throttle sticks?
You push on the throttle pedal and feel resistance other then the spring on the throttle pulley?
Yes - when I press the gas pedal to start off in first gear sometimes there is resistance.
Once I get it going it seems fine. But if I completely take my foot off the gas and then re-apply
the gas pedal sometimes it will have that initial stick/resistance.

How did you open the throttle, by rotating the throttle pulley by hand?
Yes - I rotated the pully by hand. Did I over extend it? Its a 95 camry and the throttle
bottle or IAC valve had never been cleaned before and the throttle never stuck.

Have you check the throttle opener dash pot?
I dont know what the dash pot is? Is it inside the throttle body?

Do you think the CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner was too light of a chemical for the
throttle body. I got it mainly to clean the IAC valve safely since its safe with plastics.
I did use a toothbrush to clean inside the throttle body but I could still feel buildup on the
back of the butterfly throttle plate.
Should I use something a little harsher for the throttle body? Or do you think by manipulating
the pulley by hand I over traveled it to a part of the wire that was dirty and now have debris
in the cable?

Thanks for the help

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by boricua
Clean the inside of the TB with a toothbrush, and lube out side spray grease.

man already told you what to do. if you cleaned only bottom part, and not the upper, behind pintle valve, all you did, was to make sludge from the top drip down. re-clean with toothbrush, take long screwdriver, wrap some shop towel onto it, and reach inside throttle body to wipe all sludge clean.
also, clean pintle valve itself.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM

If the "pintle valve" is the butterfly throttle valve then yes I did clean the front and back
of it. I did clean the entire throttle body with CRC Mass air flow cleaner - top and bottom. In front of valve and behind valve with a screwdriver wrapped in a shop cloth.
The back of the valve still seemed dirty but I had a hard time getting it clean. My main
question and you might have shed some light on it is - is the Mass air flow cleaner not strong enough to completely clean the inside of the throttle body? Thereby allowing gunk to remain after even though I thought I dried it out and wiped it completely.
So should I be cleaning it with something stronger than the mass air flow sensor cleaner?
Or since this was the first time in 17 years the throttle body was cleaned does it just need another go round since there may have been so much sludge created from the cleaning.
And also what does this mean - "lube out side spray grease" I dont have a clue on this suggestion.
Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

The cleaner you are using should work OK.

You should not have damaged anything if you did not force the throttle pulley beyond the stop.

Try cleaning the throttle body again.

Some lubricants come in a spray can and have a narrow tube that can be directed to the target. The target would be where the throttle shaft goes through the throttle body.

The throttle from the gas pedal goes to the cruise control box. Another cable then goes to the throttle pulley. Determine if one of the cables is sticking or a problem with the lever system inside the cruise box. You can remove the black cover to watch the cable operation as the gas pedal is moved.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM

I normally use carb/choke cleaner. MAF cleaners are purposefully made "low grade" as MAFs are very sensitive to solvents and get damaged with stronger ones, so you have to go "soft" on them.
I had a Ranger that had to have this job done almost twice a year. It has to do with where EGR valve sends recycled gas through.
You sound like you did good job. Unless it simply mechanically damaged something, I do not believe recleaning will help though. There may be a mechanical linkage issue some place else. Disconnect cable from throttle plate and feel if it runs easy from hand/foot. I work professionally with stainless steel woven cables, we need to lube them to keep them run smooth. Surprisingly, best lube is Vaseline.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I got it now. Luckily I dont have cruise control so tracing the cable itself was easy and it seemed to be pretty free. I gave the throttle body a 2nd cleaning with carb cleaner and a bunch more grime came out - almost the same amount as my first go round with the mass air flow sensor cleaner. My conclusion is that either cleaner would have worked its just after 17 years of neglect it probably did need a 2nd dose
of scrubbing. Is it possible to spray WD40 on the throttle spindle point as a lubricant?
Thanks for all the help

Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest a lube other then WD-40. This product only works in the short term.

White lithium grease is available in a spray can.

Quick Reply: Throttle sticking