General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle sticks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Default Throttle sticks

(2000 Camry,2.2L,auto)
I have cleaned the crap out of the TB with CRC TB cleaner and the throttle sticking is not near as bad,although its still somewhat there.
With the engine off the throttle dashpot is in the extended position kicking the throttle plate off seat a little bit,with engine running the dashpot is retracted,allowing throttleplate to fully close(vac hose runs from dashpot to TB)
I can manual turn the throttleplate toward the closed position with my hand and get it to stick,engine running.
My assumption is the throttle plate is slightly jamming in the throttle plate bore,the qustion I have is can I slightly turn in the TP screw (color yellow in pic) to bring the edges of the TP off the bore,or will I cause the engine to run at a higher idle rpm,or should I leave this idle screw totally alone,since its got a yellow like loctite material on it? Any advice, Thanks in advance.
John.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle sticks-dscn0767.jpg   Throttle sticks-dscn0768.jpg   Throttle sticks-dscn0766.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

You sure it is the throttle plate, not the cable, return spring, worn throttle shaft bores, etc?

Suggest cleaning again, let the cleaner soak overnight, get around the edges of the plate.

If all else fails suggest shimming the top of the screw with something and determine what happens. If the problem is solved and the engine still idles OK the screw can be adjusted. If this causes more problems then it solves the shim can be removed.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
You sure it is the throttle plate, not the cable, return spring, worn throttle shaft bores, etc?With the eng off the dashpot keeps the TP from closing all the way,no binding,will inspect alot more closely

Suggest cleaning again, let the cleaner soak overnight, get around the edges of the plate.Will do another cleaning

If all else fails suggest shimming the top of the screw with something and determine what happens. If the problem is solved and the engine still idles OK the screw can be adjusted. If this causes more problems then it solves the shim can be removed.what about wrapping electrical tape around throttle shaft screw stop arm where it contacts adjusting screw to get clearance?
Thanks Joey for the help

Last edited by ssulaco; 09-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

The dash pot is there to keep the throttle from sticking, but it only works when the engine is off. When engine is running vacuum pulls the dash pot away from the throttle as you have noticed.

Toyota may have reasons for setting the screw position where is other then sticking throttles plates.

The throttle should not stick. Cleaning resulting in improved operation, more cleaning may result in more improvement.

Electrical tape may work, anything that moves the throttle open further. Determine what happens, maybe it fixes the issue. Can always remove the tape if too many unwanted side effects occur.

Always best not to mess with a factory setting until all the effects are known.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Always best not to mess with a factory setting until all the effects are known.
Agreed,will post back outcome,Thanks again for help.