General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Water pump gone bad 2008 Camry!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

It happens a car buyer gets into these deals and things don't work out. Dealers are there to make money and can abuse the car buyer to get it.

Car repairs at a shop can be very expense compared to DIY work but not every car owner is a mechanic, as such at they are at the mercy of the shop.

Can you clarify the extended warranty? This being who was the company standing behind the warranty. Toyota Corp has their own extended warranty which is called something like Toyota Extra Care Platinum.

However there are also third party warranties sold by dealers such as from companies with names as Fidelity Warranty Services.

The two plans are not the same.

If a Toyota warranty, Toyota Corp backs the warranty and it is valid at any Toyota dealer. Your purchase of the plan would be accessible by all dealers using their computer system. All claims would be handled by the Toyota dealer with Toyota Corp reimbursing the dealer for cost of repairs.

If a third party warranty then there would be no record in the computer and you would need to present the warranty. All claims would need to be handled by the warranty company and may even required pre-approval before repairs begin. With the third party either reimbursing Toyota or requiring you to pay Toyota and they will then pay you.

Some third party warranty companies require you go to a shop they designate for repairs which could be other then a Toyota dealer.

FYI, even if having a Toyota brand warranty a dealer may decline to do the work as they can make more money from a customer paying full price then getting reimbursed by Toyota.

There is some advantage to having normal repairs done at the same location as warranty work but this is not a requirement to get warrant work done. If the warranty is a third party then it should not matter.

An extended warrant is not required to buy any car from a dealer even if the car is financed.

Did you get a copy of the warranty at time of purchase? Was the cost outlined on the paper work to buy the car? Do you still have this paperwork?

For future repairs if wishing to pursue warranty work if possible find out what kind of warranty you purchased. Toyota or third party, then get copy of the warranty. If you can find the name of the warranty company they may have your name on record.

If the warranty was a third party doubt Toyota customer care will do anything to help you. If it was a Toyota warranty then suggest more pursuit at Toyota care.

Take note it appears he dealer who sold the warranty is not being upfront and giving you the run around. Dealers profits on warranty sales are very high and once they have a person money they may be less inclined to help.

If a you have a Toyota warranty then Toyota Corp needs to back, if a third party they will defer to the third party to help the warranty owner.

This problem extends beyond Toyota. Dealers can and do take advantage of car buyers and unfortunately one needs to be on their toes to keep from being taken advantage of. They are in the business of making money.

Unfortunately many people would rather go to the dentist then to buy a car from a dealer as the experience can be more painful.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Default 2008 Camry Water Pump Replacement

Just got a call from my mechanic saying I need a new water pump , and he thought that was odd for a car with only 77K miles on it. This seems to be a problem with the Camrys. Does anyone know how to get all of these complaints submitted to Toyota? My 2005 had the same problem (plus many other) with a lot less mileage - all highway miles as I was a commuter. Traded it in for this 2008. This is the first problem I've had with the car other than a bad stereo system and broken visors which got repaired due to a recall.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota has a customer service website. However if car is out of warranty nothing is going to happen.

Contact Us | Contact Toyota

Elliott ? Toyota

Old 01-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I have an 07 and at about 120K miles I had to replace the water pump. It wasn't bad but I noticed the pink residue on the pulley. I wasn't impressed that it wore out but I figure I got my mileage out of it. It also wasn't too bad of job to do on my own.
Things are not always status qua at Toyota these days...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Default Water pump ruined my car

My water pump went bad and then over heated my engine so I had to buy a new engine. I had 103k mikes on it with an extended 100k warranty which was useless. I have read numerous cases of this being a problem and Toyota will not even apologize. They need to own up to their cheap faulty water pumps, put me 7k in hole.