General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water pump and timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Default Water pump and timing belt

I have a 2000 Camry 4-cyl. with 58k original one-owner miles. Now, my question is when do I change the water pump? I'm thinking I should change the timing belt soon because of the 90k or 6 years whichever comes first. Do I need to replace seals at this mileage also? Another route would be to wait until I reach 90k and replace timing belt, water pump, seals, drive belt, power steering belt, etc.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Who is doing the work you or a mechanic? What is your estimated miles per year going to be in the future?

Water pumps on these engines seldom fail. The typical "plan" is to replace it at the 2nd belt change, this being due to the cost of having to take every thing apart to get at it.

Have had more problems with the oil pump drive shaft seal leaking then the water pump failing.

The other plan is when the cover is off to inspect the seals for leakage and replace as warrantied.

If doing the work yourself you have more options. If a mechanic then the cost of getting to these parts should they fail in the future before the timing belt again needs replacing is a driving factor.

Post back with the answers to these questions and will advise more.

If the belt breaks the engine will not be damaged, you will just need a tow.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Water pumps on these engines seldom fail.
I would have to agree with that statement based on the fact I just tore into my mothers 99 Camry, 4 cylinder to change out the original timing belt and camshaft seal after 265k miles. The waterpump is still original and working great, just like everything else on the car. I perform all of her maintenance and all I've done since she bought this car new has been changing the oil, air filter, and the starter once. I can never talk her into scheduled maintenance, and this engine amazes me with how reliable it is.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM

I plan on putting 15k miles per year. Since the water pump seldom fails, then I think I am just going to not touch anything until 90k miles. Right now the car is at 58k original miles (2000 camry 4-cyl.) I am only worried about the rubber on the timing belt breaking down over time (11 years old). I will have my car serviced at the Toyota dealership only. What do you guys think?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

That's about 2 years, should be OK. The belt is some kind of synthetic material, it should not rot like rubber.

Might look for an independent shop. Toyota repair prices are typically high along with parts prices. A belt change may be $500, if water pump changed add $250.

Suggest avoiding chain type repair shops at these can be rip offs if you don't understand cars. They force extra repairs into the job, poor workmanship, etc. Just my experiences.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-22-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM

The seals and pump should also be replaced. If they go out after the t-belt job, the belt job basically has to be done again to access the pump and seals.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 AM

As to the belt tensioner, I would replace that because it is a wear item, and if it fails it can cause a timing belt failure. If you are going to risk the timing belt failing (and causing major damage to the engine) you might as well not have the belt replaced.