General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Default woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft

I'm an amateur at car repair
I was putting a new timing belt on a Camry with a 5SE engine.
I had the cam and crank lined up and put belt on..and loosened bolt on tensioner...then turned crankshaft 1/2 turn CW...
the problem is the belt must not have been tight enough and what happened is that the crankshaft turned 1/2 turn but the camshaft did not.

I know this is a non-interference engine....but not sure what to do....
do I
1. turn crankshaft CCW to get back to where I started? I heard that was bad
2. turn crankshaft 1/2 in CW direction....am I really safe being its a non-interference engine
3.try and turn the camshaft the amount it should have moved (1/4 turn) ?
4. something else ???

thanks for any help ....I dont want to damage something !
Thanks
Tim

Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

If camshaft pulley is still lined up, do No 1 or 2.

Turning crank CCW is bad when checking cam/crank alignment, as in "turn crank 2 times CW and recheck marks". Turning CW removes any slack from the timing belt.

Make sure you do turn crank 2 times CW and recheck marks. Has happened cam pulley ends up one tooth off due to slack being taking out of belt. If so, adjust cam position to compensate and reinstall belt. Then recheck marks by rotating 2 times CW.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Thank you for the quick reply

so just to confirm
#1 its ok to turn crankshaft CCW 1/2 turn to get back to original spot since belt not really engaged

#2. if I went the CW route, (since I've already turned 1/2 turn CW), I need to turn an additional 1 and 1/2 turns ? To get back to original spot.

And the reason I can do this is because its a non-inteference engine...

Thanks for any clarification

Old 05-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

#1 yes. Make sure the cam pulley did not rotate before the belt came off. If it did, rotate the cam pulley the shortage distance to realign it.

#2. The 1 & 1/2 or 2 full turns (rotations) of crank only apply IF the timing belt is installed.

The cam pulley is twice the diameter of the crank pulley. When the timing belt is installed, for every 1 full rotation (360 degrees) of the crank pulley, the cam pulley rotates 1/2 rotation (180). 2 full rotations of crank are required for every 1 full rotation of cam.

If the belt is not installed, the cam or crank can be rotated either direction to line them up.

The engine being non-interference eliminates concerns of valve/piston hitting allowing rotating the either pulley independently. Same for when belt is installed, however the timing belt tensioner is designed for CW rotation.

In an interference engine and timing belt off. If the crank was rotated by hand it would stop when a piston and valve contacted. Rotating the crank in the other direction would be the easier, safest and perhaps only way to regain crank alignment.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM

Got it!

One more question...while putting the timing belt cover back on there is a wire that must go to some sensor by the crankshaft....well somehow the white wire broke. I stripped the wire and soldered the white wire back together. There is a bunch of what appears to be shielding around the 2 wires....how important is that shielding...can I just wrap black tape around the wires ?

Last and mainly... how is that wire supposed to be secured...is it inside the timing belt cover...on the outside ? Obviously I should have paid more attention when cover came off.

Thanks for all the help !

TIm

Old 05-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely crankshaft position sensor. The wires need to be shielded to prevent electrical interference.

Where is the break? The wire shielding from the computer to the sensor electrical plug grounds at the computer. The shielding for the sensor plug to the sensor grounds at the sensor. There is a break in the shielding at the connection plug.

Tape over the exposed solder wire. Then if possible solder a small wire between the gap to connect to the shielding of each wire together. Shielded wire needs to be grounded to the chassis at some point. The small gap in shielding from the repair should not matter.

Look at the sensor which should be outside the cover. The sensor wiring would also be outside the cover.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM

well, i lined up the crank and cam shafts perfectly...and turned the crankshaft multiple times and rechecked and the mark on the crankshaft was right on 0 on the timing belt cover...and the hole in the camshaft was right on the dimple. I put everything back together and the engine has a noise as if something is hitting....
My son found a web site and it kinda sounded like a bad water pump....although I just put a brand new water pump in...

So we recorded the sound... and while running the engine recording the sound the engine stopped on its own.... I have not tried starting it up again.

I'm sorry to keep asking questions...but does anyone have an idea what this might be...I know I'll have to take everything all apart (hours of work) but hoping someone else has run into something like this...

I uploaded the sound onto youtube...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Unless missing something the audio sounds normal. The engine normally makes a rattle noise as in audio, this is the injectors.

Has happened after a timing belt change the engine runs rough, dies, etc. After a few restarts it again runs normal.

If the crank/cam pulley timing was off, the engine would not run very well, if at all.

Besides a water pump and belt, did you replace any other parts?

Did you rotate the water pump to check for free movement after the installation?

Did you follow the timing belt installation directions to rotate crank CW when tightening idler bolt?

Are timing belt covers installed OK, no rubbing behind crank pulley?

Suggest reinspecting the engine to make sure all is in order. That nothing is rubbing on the timing covers. Might once again rotate crank by hand a few times and check for binding, etc.

Then if all is in order, restart engine.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Thank you for reply....
What I changed was the seal on the oil pump housing, the oil pump seal, the camshaft seal, the crankshaft seal, the timing belt and the water pump.

Did you follow the timing belt installation directions to rotate crank CW when tightening idler bolt? I did not do that...in fact i was unsure how to tell how tight to make the idler pulley...but it was towards bottom when I tightened it.

The belt felt tight and when I cranked on the crankshaft it did not slip (unlike the first time i did it)...

Checking water pump for free rotation... crap didn't do that either : (

In regard to the timing belt covers, they originally each had only 2 bolts...I however bought the missing ones and installed so I believe the covers are on right ...but alas I will have to remove to look around.

thanks again so much for your help!!

Tim

Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 PM

another dumb question....is there any way to put the oil pump on WRONG ?
I got it to go back on and sealed...but just curious if the rotor had to be a certain way...or if it fit it must be right ?

Quick Reply: woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft