General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Oil pump gears have a drilled spot on one face. As the drive gear can only install in one direction, the driven gear spot needs to match the direction of the drive gear.

As to belt tightening, per manual, you don't need to rotate the crank and tighten idler bolt.

Review the info at the link below for Toyota procedure. Disregard info about the dots on belt. You only need align cam and crank pulleys, then install belt.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jo...157_timing.pdf

Is there something not heard in the video other then the injectors chattering?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 AM

So I took the timing belt cover off and sure enough the belt was loose and had slipped 2 or 3 teeth. I redid the timing belt, left the top timing belt cover off, installed the motor mount and started the engine and it ran perfect !!! the sound was gone (that sounded like something was hitting). This time I tightened the tensioner to 45 ftlbs instead of 31 ftlbs as the book said. After confirming it sounded good and that timing belt stayed tight and that crank and cam shafts lined up, I removed motor mount, put upper timing cover on and and completed job.

What I want to say is a sincere Thank you for ALL of your help...my lack of experience made this harder than it should have been but at each difficult issue you were very kind to answer my questions and get me to the next point.
Thank you very much !

I did make some "custom" tools that I intend to take pictures of and post in the next few days to hopefully help the next guy..... as much of my time was spend making tools to get the job done.

I am so relieved (and so is my son, who's car it is).

Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Great job! Glad to help.

Do post back with your photos as interested to see what you came up with. Plus this may help others having to do the same job.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM

here is the pictures of the tools i made
the 2 x 4 wood chunk broke and was throw out..but it was essential...when i tapped on one side of crankshaft seal the other side would come out

The tool for holding the crankshaft while tightening the bolt was made from an 3-1/2" shallow electrical box (couple $$s) and then I made holes for the 6mm 1.00 pitch screws that went into the crankshaft and then just attached two pieces of metal to make a Y

I made a smaller tool for holding and turning the crankshaft

Attached Thumbnails woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft-img_0329%5B1%5D.jpg   woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft-img_0327%5B1%5D.jpg   woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft-img_0326%5B1%5D.jpg   woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft-img_0323%5B1%5D.jpg   woops- belt loose and turned crankshaft w/o turning camshaft-img_0325%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Very creative on the tools and easy to build. You even gave me a few ideas, thanks.

Good job on the repairs!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job! I'm very impressed with your inventiveness. MacGuyver would be impressed!