Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Need Exhaust system/s recommendation

Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Default Need Exhaust system/s recommendation

I have a 1996 Camry DX 4cyl. automatic sedan (Japan) with 220KM. It needs the pipe running from the headers to the CAT (including the CAT & the dapmer/diffuser) as its rusted and can't be repaired. I'm wondering if it's time to just replace the whole exhaust systems (which is also old) including the headers & exhaust and gain some noticeable power or, just replace what I need? May be it will smoothen the rough idle a bit? Is a cold air intake is recommended as well? Let me know your recommendation/s for a good fit system and any preferred/reliable vendor/s. Rest of the car/engine is in very good shape. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

How bad is the rust, are the pipes rusted through? Is the flex pipe the part that is leaking?

The cold air intake is not going to provide any HP gains.

Suggest you review posts at the Toyotanation site. There have been discussions about CAT back exhaust system and the +/- issues of cold air intakes.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
How bad is the rust, are the pipes rusted through? Is the flex pipe the part that is leaking?

The cold air intake is not going to provide any HP gains.

Suggest you review posts at the Toyotanation site. There have been discussions about CAT back exhaust system and the +/- issues of cold air intakes.

Thanks Joey. Yes that pipe seems to be rusted pretty bad and the leak is where CAT is connected/welded. The flex pipe (ahead of the CAT) is also not looking too good either. Muffler shop recommends that the whole pipe from the header to the cat back be replaced (incl CAT and Flex). Is $800 for parts/labor reasonable price?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

If a complete system including CAT the price appears OK. Toyota would want over $1200 for parts.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho View Post
If a complete system including CAT the price appears OK. Toyota would want over $1200 for parts.
Thanks again Joey. Just FYI I googled & decided to order this part made by Bosal (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product) for approx. $170 incl. free shipping. To my surprise, it was delivered the next day. Got it installed today for approx. @150 and everything looks/sounds good. I'm going to wait until something else goes wrong before I replace any other parts of the exhaust system.