Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Intake and Exhaust System
Print Wikipost

What are the actually horsepower gains on a cold air intake for 94 Camry 2.2L

Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: What are the actually horsepower gains on a cold air intake for 94 Camry 2.2L

How about gas milage? and will this intake kit actually work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMRY...spagenameZWDVW

Lookin at the stock pipe, theres another tube around the center goin to another box, which this intake doesnt appear to have. Still any good? (I need a new intake pipe, mine is splitting)

Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: What are the actually horsepower gains on a cold air intake for 94 Camry 2.2L

Well I think it would help your gas milage just as much as your performance which would be very little. I have nodiced no differenct with mine. The intake that you are looking at looks like a universal intake made for many makes. Just be carful of cheap parts it is better to buyname brand. The intake showen looks like it does not have a mass air flow sensor.
Nathan

Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM

I had assumed that was eitherwhat the little blue hose was for or I'd have to buy an MAF adaptor. But yea, I just bought a new stock hose from a junk yard, I didnt notice til now that the new one has a little tube sticking out to theright of the opening to the throttlebody, a couple inches away. It looks like it was probably to a censor but I dont have that on the old pipe. Should i just block the airflow from that little tube to prevent losing the compression, or not use it.. what do you think? Also, between the Air filter and the throttlebody theres a small box that hangs under the air intake. Exactly what is the prupose of that? If it has no importantpurpose, can I just close off that hole and keep the airflow direct?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:15 PM

I would get what is made for your car I would not block it off because it might be needed. The importance of the mass airflow sensor is to determine the mass of air entering the engine. The air mass information is necessary for the ECU to calculate and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. You could most likely find pictures of your old pipe online that could help you.
Nathan

Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM

Well its just about the exact same thing, from the same generation camry, I pulled it out myself. They are almost identical aside from that one little piece sticking out. And I believe the MAF is plugged into the stock box correct? this piece is completely irrelevent. Thats why I wanted to block it off. I wouldnt do so if it had a purpose. Blocking it off would make it the same as the old intake pipe.

..Or were you referring to the box underneath? I kinda forgot about that part...

Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Okay, I looked around and found that its common for people to actually get rid of the box, so I think I may be doin that when I can. I want airflow as direct as possible, Im all for goin fast but my main concern right now is gas milage.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM

You will be lucky to get 3hp gain if thats the only bolt on you have. If you have an exhaust system on also then yeah it is possible for 6hp. As for the cheap intake kits, I wouldnt even waste my time looking at them.
Take K&N for example, they have specifically designed the intake for the camry to give optimal hp with the stock ecu and mas.The offbrand intakes at auto zone or wherever you are looking do not take that into accountability. they test it onONE car, preferebly an older car with out many ecu controls, get the dyno proven power gains, then slapa sticker on it and its out the door to sell.the ecu can play absolute havoc on bolt on parts, hints why I hate ecu's unless of course they are aftermarket. So it always best to go with brand name and parts that are specifically designed for your car/engine. it will save you money andtime going with the brand name parts

Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 AM

there will be a small gain.. youll feel it in the "butt dyno" because your brains retarded... but yes, youll notice a BIG difference in sound and in throttle response. BTW, which motor do you have?

as in gas MPG's. i have a new muffler
(super turbo), custom intake with K and N filter. i also use royal purple oil and NGK plugs and we use 1/4 tank of gas from omaha to Kansas City. i think one time we averaged 30+ MPG.. i have a 98 XLE V6 with 115k!!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 PM

power gain is very minimal, but with CAI you can feel that the engine breathes better because more air gets sucked in by the system.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM

yea dont expect a whole lot of difference in power...it just helps the engine breathe better. I have a drop in kn panel filter on my 05 and i didnt notice any gains or drops in mileage per gallon...gave it a nice hummmm at 3100rpms tho:P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the actually horsepower gains on a cold air intake for 94 Camry 2.2L