New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

07camry with SRS Light

Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Default 07camry with SRS Light

Hi,

I joined here to seek some help for my camry's SRS Light.

I just recently installed an aftermarket car audio system; pioneer head unit, with HD tuner, pac sw adapter for the steering wheel control, spkrs, 600W amp and 200W Sub . These units were installed by a pro installer from one car stereo dealer in my location.

After the audio install, i noticed that the SRS light was on. I've asked the installer and they say they did not touched any related to SRS...?

Can this SRS light be reset? or is there something else that needs to be checked and fixed.

Any advice or suggestions would be of help.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

What areas did the installer access? Did they remove the steering wheel or access under the steering wheel cover? How about the center console between the seats? The SRS systems has components such as side airbags, airbags in the seats, dash, the center console between the seats has a sensor. If any of the wiring is disconnected, or was disconnected (and ign system turned on), the computer will trigger the light.

The SRS computer does a self check every time the ign key is turned on. If it finds a problem the light will come on.

If an airbag or other SRS system is unplugged, wire damaged, etc the computer will note this and the light will come on. Or if a SRS sensor, wire, component was unplugged and then the ign switch turned on the computer turn the on.

The light will stay on until the problem is fixed AND the SRS system reset.

It seems strange the light would be on after the stereo installation. These systems are very reliable!

As such the first place to look is the stereo installation and the installer.

A Toyota dealer can hook up a code reader and find out the exact problem and reset the system if this is all it takes. A third party reader may also work.

Note: If the SRS light is on, the complete airbag system is turned off and will not activate in a accident.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 AM

The driver side and front passenger side door panels have been dismantled to put it the new door speaker. The wires on those doors have been disconnected, they must be the power door locks and power windows wirings. The center console was opened up to the center dashboard to replace the stereo head unit. They did not removed the steerring wheel. An adapter was hooked to the new headunit to steering wheel audio control.

I've seen also that the left side arm of the windshield, driver side, was opened up to wire the head unit's microphone for the telephone to the visor, there's SRS bag in there too, which is part of the safety side curtain air bag.

There was an instance that the installer backup the car (started the engine) with the center console and wirings disconnected. I guess this might have one of the cause that triggered the SRS light..?

You mentioned that SRS computer does a self check whne (ign started), if it finds some fault, it will light on. If none, will it automatically turn-off or does it need to be manually reset if it has been triggered on during the stereo install process?

I just remembered that i have an OBD-II code reader, a simple one (CP9125 PocketScan), and i tried to read the codes but there is no code that has registered on the scanner tool. Is there a special tool to scan codes for the SRS?

I'll be getting back with the stereo installer definitely this weekend to have them check and fix SRS Light. It's really annoying to see alert light on when driving and don't want to jeopardize safety.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

The Toyota dealer has their own special reader that access via the ODBII port.

The appears to be way to do this manually. I have sent a link to you via a private message.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Thanks! your info is very much helpful! I just hope that a simple reset would take care of the SRS light and no repair and replace. I'll find that out on the weekend when i get back to car stereo installer. Hope they have the tool to scan and knows how to fix it too. Otherwise, i'll go to a toyota dealer nearby

Last edited by akonoypi; 09-29-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

If you do go to Toyota, have them explain the problem and if possible determine if the stereo installer was the cause.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:38 AM

I've been to the car stereo installer shop last weekend to have the SRS light fixed. They don't have the code scanner tool but good thing one of their auto shop neigbor has one. There was a code extracted, 38472 but no description or details that can be extracted on the tool's database. The guy say's that the code maybe an unpublished error and only toyota would know. He also suggested to double check all the wirings to which the new audio system wires runs as there might be some loose connection in relation to SRS.

The car installer have dismantled the places where they have run the wires to trace the same and i've seen that it's pretty clean. The only thing not double checked is the head unit's connection which i kinda think is ok as the Head Unit, HD Tuner and Steering wheel audio control adapter's functionality are working fine. Battery voltage is outstanding. Short of the story, the SRS light was not fixed and can't simply be reset. I'm left with no choice but to go to a toyota dealer.

Same day i went to the toyota dealership. Wow, initial dianosis charge for the SRS light is already 98 bucks. I told the service advisor the story and was kind enough to buy it. Unfortunately, the dealership cannot simply diagnose the problem from a scanner tool and technicaion says they would need to trace all the wirings which they say is not an easy job. Adding that it could be possible that power tapping for the after market audio system might have been done improperly and could have shorted some wires and screwed out the ECU...? I would have to schedule a week day repair with the dealership and would hit me another 350 bucks... Ouch!!!

i saw some DIY write ups on the net and also some videos on how to reset SRS, shorting some MES wires, and it is for a honda/acura. Is there something like this for a toyota specifcally 07camry and is it advisable?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

See Private Message.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
Default 2006 Toyota Solara SRS Light is on

Hi,

I am a new member of this form. I have 2006 toyota solara and SRS light is on. How can we diagnose trouple code without scan tool? How can we reset the SRS light with manually. There are some links for Honda but I do not are these methods works for the toyota. I would greatly appreciate if you can answer.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

You can't diagnose the system without a scan tool.

If you installed a new bag, did you replace the impact sensor for that bag?

If side impact, the sensor may also need replacing. Location may be near the seat belt reel on the side where the bag was deployed.

On resetting not sure, will check some more. Suggest researching 2006 Camry instead of Solara as almost the same car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07camry with SRS Light