New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1989 odel camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 03:54 AM
Default 1989 odel camry

Hi, I have a 1989 model Camry. The vehicle has no spark and I have tried everything to try and work it out. I recently bought a new coil as I thought it might be the culprit, but to no avail, still no spark. I have read a little about the igniter. I have tried to locate the igniter and I am led to believe they are in predominately two locations. 1) on the engine inner guard and or 2) within the distributor. I can not locate one on the inner engine bay so I assume its within the distributor. I am not sure how to determine the engine type as when your buying parts there seems to be different type of engines. My engine has the number 3S8081586. Would anyone know what engine type this comes under. I have also checked the ECU and it appears all good. No burnt and or rusted pins, looks in mint condition.
The funny thing is the car was driven to the location whereby I obtain it 5 years ago and was running fine..

Old 06-11-2022, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Does the distributor cap have 4 wires or 5?

Old 06-12-2022, 08:35 PM
Default no spark camry

Sorry if I repeat myself here, struggling to understand the format of this forum, i think you hit reply first then type, anyhoo, yes, it has four, therefore must be an internal, thanks for that I actually never noticed that before, please put me up for the award of Gumby of the month. Ill go and rip the whole disy out and replace the igniter, see what happens then. The only other thing would be the ECU, although i pulled it out and it seems fine. The other issue I have is that the air con stopped working, while trying to find the ECU i found this other thing call an air con amplifier, unlike the ECU it has some rust spots on one of the solder points, im hoping thats the problem. will try and find one of these as well, although on the web mine seems different to all the other, unit denso 077100-3531, the others seem to have a round **** thing next to the connection point, mine does not have that.
Regards Rob

Old 06-13-2022, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Check if the brown wire to the distributor is getting battery voltage with ign switch on.

The distributor has 2 pickup coils inside it that tell the ignition when to fire. These coils can fail. Use an ohm meter to check their resistance.

To do this disconnect the wiring harness connection for the distributor. Face the wiring connection pins inside the plug socket towards you. Orient the plastic plugs locking device that is built into the plug downward. This device locks the male plug end to the female plug end of the wiring harness..

Check the resistance between the bottom plug connection terminal and each one of the upper two terminals, one terminal at a time. Resistance should be 140-180 ohm.

The igniter is supposed to be separate item located on the left side of the battery. It has 5 wires going to it.

Old 06-13-2022, 06:16 PM

I pulled the dizzy out, the igniter is definitely in there, i ripped it out as well, looks ok, but you never know with these things, I actually brought a brand new coil months ago, I actually thought it was the coil, I have gone on utube and there is a Kiwi guy that says you can test the igniter, but, omfg, seems way to complex. Ill just buy a new igniter and stick that in and then see what happens. Hey Toyomoho, mate, you really know ya stuff, I appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Post back with the results after your repair.