New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1988 toyota camry with no spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Default 1988 toyota camry with no spark

I have a 88 camry 2.0 that drove fine til about five hrs ago. Pulled up to a stop sign and it died and will not start pulled the fuel filter it's still getting fuel, replaced the coil, rotter, cap and wires new plugs and still no spark, any ideas or suggestions of what it could be? O also checked all the fuses and they seem to be good the car has 224k and the motor seems like it's fine so any help or ideas would be great
Thanks
Nick

Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for a broken timing belt?

Remove the distributor cap, have someone crank the engine. Watch for the rotor turning.

Check for 12V at the Positive terminal of the coil.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:25 AM

I agree with toyomoho that you need to check the car properly.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Hello Toyomoho, and all of the other Toyota Camry enthusiasts who have realised the awesomeness of the vehicles we have the honour to possess - be it through chance, experience or research. As for the car running some of the time, and then *after it warms for a bit, shuts off* -> try checking out your distributor pick-up specs - one of my pick-ups (out of the 2) was bad, and I got myself a replacement used distributor and problem solved. ..Alright, to add, I wish to mention that I too have a 1988 Camry that does not start after having done... a ´what I thought would be...´ harmless Carburetor Spray Intake Manifold cleaning operation. It has been 6 months now, and I still have not had my precious Camry back on the proverbial road. Yes, I have thought yet again that my distributor pick-up yet again was suspect due to some questionable spec. readings and got myself a reman. distributor from Autozone. Everything looks fine enough (have good spark now & fuel pressure) but still no go with start-up, yes I have my timing belt in good timing & working, & yes my fuel pump is turning on with engine suction through the Air Flow Monitor box (have purchased the rec. COR relay as previous recommended to do). The thing is, it does almost start at first when cold, (with distributor at max advance), but then no luck afterwards. What I am about to do now is try to have some friends give me a push down the street and I will see if this does the trick. This is the point where I am at. Please give me your useful commentary oh wise good Toyomoho once again (&yes, the COR was the black relay under the ECU - thank you), ....my hair is becoming grayer by the day, & me looking for more cold beers, thank you very much, Derik *-*

Old 05-07-2011, 01:18 PM

doooop! ... ahem, to clarify further, ...the ´pushing down the street´ reference entails that; I will be attempting to jump-start the vehicle, as this helped me with a slug of a high-compression Ford Mustang previously in my life as I had to park it on a hill every night to start it in the morning -> wish me luck, (hick´up* ...now where´s that precious Tequila?¿....)