New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1990 Camry won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Default 1990 Camry won't start.

Hi there, I'm new here. I wanted to join to ask a question about a used Camry I bought this past summer. It will crank and crank and crank but it won't turn over. Assuming the starter is OK, what are the possible problems here?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, as I'm hoping to get a reasonably reliable vehicle back on the road soon!

Cheers.

-Mike from Ontario, Canada

Old 01-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Did the engine ever run and if so, the last time it stopped running did it stop on its own or you turned it off?

Have you checked for ign spark? Remove the ign wire from the distributor and hold near a ground point on the engine, chassis, etc. Crank engine, should have a good spark.

When cranking after a time, any smell of gasoline?

Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Ok. I drove it home from where I bought it (about 40 miles trip) back in September. Aside from a couple of on-site moves, it has been sitting unstarted ever since. I fired it up, successfully, about a month ago but since then it just cranks without turning over.
I must also note that there were problems with the starter. After the initial drive home I turned off the engine and then tried immediately to start it again: unsuccessful. Just a "click" when I turned the key. This I took to be the starter (based on a very limited understanding of auto mechanics). I gave it a tap with a hammer and it seemed to have worked; it started up nicely.
I'm going to check for a good spark and hopefully get back to you.
No smell of gas after cranking.

I appreciate the quick response.

-Mike

Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

If the starter is just making clicking noises by runs if hit might be the starter solenoid contacts. Toyota may sell the electrical contacts or other parts for the solenoid.

This would allow you to fix this starter rather then buying a rebuilt that may be of dubious quality.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM

did you check the fuel? I think you don't have enough fuel or it drain fast.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 AM

Also, be sure to check your fuses. I am not a Camry owner, but just fixed my aunt's Camry today that has what is sounding like the same problem. I thought it was an ignition issue or gas, so I put in new gas, HEET, and changed the spark plugs out. After all was said and done, and 2 hours of frustration later, I checked the EFI fuses while looking to reset the ECU. The 15A EFI fuse was blown. After replacing it, ran like new. Bone-head move, I know, but maybe this will fix your problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Default Back Again

Ok, I'm back to the drawing board after a snowy winter. Yesterday I took apart everything from the battery to the starter and the solenoid and cleaned all the terminals and connectors. Success!
The car still won't start but I know it's not the starter. I need a new battery (current one won't hold a charge, hopefully not because it's shorting out somewhere). Then I'll be able to continue the investigation, going step by step to eliminate all possible causes.

Later,

-Mike from Ontario

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Ok, I'm back at this again. Purchased new battery and hooked it up. Good power but she won't start. Assuming the starter is fine (pretty sure on that one), would anyone be so kind as to suggest four or five things to do to spark this baby up?
I am going to see if there's any ignition spark first, as Toyomoho suggests, but beyond that I'm ready to hear what you folks have to say.

Cheers,

-Mike

Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I forget what I stated but,

Check for spark first.

The timing belt has been know to slip, a tooth shears off. The result is the engine has spark but the timing is off.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Default Tools for checking all possible ignition problems

Should I invest in an Ohmmeter to test the ignition coil and a voltmeter to check the igniter? I'm new to this stuff but the Haynes tear-down/rebuild book leads me to believe I should be checking these components.
To be sure, I'll add more gas to the tank and replace all the spark plugs.
Troubleshooting guide says if the engine rotates but does not start it could be the following:

-leaking fuel injectors, faulty cold start valve, fuel pump, pressure regulator, etc.

-fuel not reaching fuel rail.

-ignition components damp or damaged.

-Problems with wiring in the starting circuit.

-loose distributor is altering ignition timing.

-Probs. with wiring at the ignition coil or faulty coil.

Where to start, where to start! I guess I can test for a spark without the aid of any meter using the method described above and then move on from there to other potential solutions?

-Mike

Quick Reply: 1990 Camry won't start.