New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

1992 Camry, water leak, passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Default 1992 Camry, water leak, passenger side

I hope I am doing this right, I have owned my 1992 Camry since new, it has recently developed a leak on the passenger side. It is not the windshield, AC drain. any thoughts?

Old 02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Moon roof, heater core?

Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 PM

Car heats as usual and no missing water from the rad.
No moon roof either. :-(

Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

How water getting into the outside air intake below windscreen but not draining out allowing it to get into the climate system.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, I have removed the wiper arms, cowel, tried to flood the compartment with water, but it drains and it drains well. So, this is also not the entrance area. Any other thoughts? I have had as much as two inches after a night have heavy rain.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Leak in front passengers side only?

The bottom of each door has simple flapper valves to allow any entered water to flow out the bottom. Check if these flapper valves are plugged allowing water to build up inside the door and flow out inside the car via the door panel area.

Check door seals at the bottom for deterioration.

If one can't find the problem, my own method might be to pull up the carpet/padding on passengers side, remove the passenger side kick panel, passengers side center pillar panel (seat belt area), door panel, etc. Pulling back the passengers side carpet requires taking out the passengers side front seat. Easy job as each seat is held in by only 4 bolts.

Then get a garden hose chemical sprayer attachment and some fluorescent non-staining dye (see links below).

Amazon Amazon

https://www.google.com/search?q=gard...hrome&ie=UTF-8

With this spray selected areas with dyed water and check with a UV light for leaks. Follow any dye trail to the source of the leak.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:04 AM

1992, Camry base model, 468 thousand km and counting.

I found it... as god is my witness and after several months, finally removed the interior of the car. This leak has to be new to the group as I could not find this as an issue for anyone. Passenger side carpet would get drenched during the rain, not always just sometimes. My car is pointed nose down and the water would gather in the foot well, passenger side sometimes four five inches deep. the leak was coming through the door panel. The door plugs were clear and working, hence not looking at this as a cause. Once the door panel was off and I could water test, you could see the water kicking off the bottom of the side glass, hitting plastic and instead of falling into the door well and draining, it would flow over the sill, under the door panel. I have removed the carpet, washed/cleaned and dried it. removed the underlay/sound pad and replaced it. The car is dry. No a cowl issue, glass, ac drain line, sunroof, or antenna.

If anyone has an issue I hope my experience helps. feel free to contact me if I can give a better description I will.

Many thanks for the replies of help :-)