New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

96 Carmy, oil light problem and weird sound....need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Default 96 Carmy, oil light problem and weird sound....need help!!

Need some help!!

I have a 96 Camry 4 cylinder and have been experiencing problems with the oil light amongst other things.

A couple of weeks ago whilst driving home from work I noticed the oil light flash a couple of times, then stay on (drove with light on for about 10 minutes) . Next morning we start the car to drive it in the garage to change oil and the car made this weird noise on start up. We turned the engine off straight away, did the oil change, started it up later and all seemed okay. Next morning I jump in the car to take the kids to school and the noise is back.

There is plenty of oil in it, timing belt was changed around two years ago , apart from this problem the car has been a dream.
The noise only happens when starting from cold and have noticed the revs on start-up are much higher than they used to be. The noise goes after a few minutes, but if I do drive the car the oil light comes on after 5 minutes of driving and just constantly flickers.

I’m at a real loss as to what to do. I have never been to a mechanic shop as my Dad was my mechanic and he passed away a few weeks ago.

I just want some ideas as to what it could be.

Here is a video clip I took today of the noise.

‪96 Camry - noise on cold start and oil light flashing on and off after five mintues of driving.‬‏ - YouTube

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!