New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

About to pick up my new Camry - MSRP help?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Default About to pick up my new Camry - MSRP help?

What's up everybody. Mustang guy, F150 guy, VWR32 guy, STI guy... and well finally it's come time to get in to something that is a better daily driver, that fits two car seats in the back. I wanted something 4door, comfortable, looks good, and still gets good gas millage, so I decided yesterday to go look at the Camrys and Accords. Checked out the 4cly sport models of both, drove them both, and decided the 2019 camry was the car for me (the accord was SO generic and uninspiring) . The Toyota is a great lookin car for dad with a couple kids in the back, and doesn't really break the bank.

Anyway, was hoping to get a little help. They are ordering in the color of my choice and it will be in in a couple days. I picked the XSE, with the pano roof. I have the writeup here next to me, and the MSRP is ~32k. I tried implementing my google-fu to determine what a fair bargaining number would be below this number, and didn't have any luck. Can anybody out there comment on how much they were able to successfully negotiate off the MSRP of their new Camry? help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Is the dealer transporting an already built car to their dealership for you?

Have you discussed price with the dealer already?

For new car pricing check TrueCar, Edmonds, etc.

Note the manufacturer has a hold back of say 2% they give to the dealer after a sell.

Dealers need to make a profit to stay in business, say 5%.

Note the negotiated car price is one thing. They dealer may attempt to add extras to increase their profit such as extended warranty, pad the financing, etc. The dealer will make their profit one way or another.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 PM

They are transporting the car in for me tomorrow morning, but we agreed zero requirement to actuslly purchase it if I end up not wanting it. We havent talked price at all, all that is coming tomorrow.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Is the dealer transporting an already built car to their dealership for you?

Have you discussed price with the dealer already?

For new car pricing check TrueCar, Edmonds, etc.

Note the manufacturer has a hold back of say 2% they give to the dealer after a sell.

Dealers need to make a profit to stay in business, say 5%.

Note the negotiated car price is one thing. They dealer may attempt to add extras to increase their profit such as extended warranty, pad the financing, etc. The dealer will make their profit one way or another.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM

I'm on Edmunds, and the "Edmunds suggested price" is always around 3k below msrp. I just dont know how much water that holds in real life. Seems super low.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Edmonds states their suggested price accounts for vehicle model demand, dealer incentives, etc.

There is MRSP which is what the dealer would like to sell the car for, and invoice price which is what the dealer pays for the car.

The dealer doesn't buy the car from the manufacturer but pays interest on it until sold. The sooner the car is sold the less interest paid. There is also a hold back payment from the manufacturer of say 2% which is paid out after the car is sold.

Highly suggest you do an internet search on "what did you pay for your Camry Toyotanation". The site has a host of recent new camry purchase experiences and prices paid.

Go over the list of items on the cars buy sheet such as shipping charge, dealer prep, paperwork fee, etc. Some are legit while others are just more profit.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info. That thread shows people getting a TON of money off msrp from all over the states, between 10 and 15 percent. Even at 10, I'm being told it is way below dealer cost, when contacting dealers asking for an easy fast sale.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 04-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

What are you saying? At MSRP the dealer is just breaking even? This could be possible if the dealer has keep the car on their lot a long time and paid a good deal of carrying costs.

It's called Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price and is not the price the dealer paid for the car and has invested in the car after keeping it in their lot for a time.

You are going to pay for transporting the car from the manufacturer to dealer and perhaps another dealer. Plus dealer prep, documentation fees, etc. If you finance via Toyota Corp the dealer gets a profit on this. Toyota may give dealers incentives on certain models to encourage a dealer to order them. Add in buying an extended Toyota warranty and its more gross profit. There is also the 2-3% hold back Toyota will pay the dealer once the car is sold. The dealer might also hope once the warranty expires you will take the car to them for service.

Dealers are selling, financing and servicing cars to make a profit which is how it should be. It would be great if a dealer could state up front they want to make XX% gross profit on your sell and present a price to you with this profit built in. But it doesn't work that way. As such unless you know that dealers margins they need to make money, one is just guessing and trying to get as reasonable deal as one can.

Note that all Toyota models don't have the same gross profit return. If a model has a high demand the gross profit can be higher as MSRP goes up with that demand. Plus there could be some kind of surcharge (price increase reflecting demand) listed on the invoice.

The dealer can always say no to your offer and they will if they don't think they are making enough money. Dealers are experts at negotiating the selling and financing of cars which is how it should be as they need to make a money to stay in business. Just like any other business.