New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Adding a performance exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Default Adding a performance exhaust

Hello everybody!! Let's see, I own a 1999 toyota camry LE 2.2 4cyl. With tein lowering springs (1.5 front, .5 rear) with the recommended performance struts for the application, 17" Enkei aftermarket wheels, hps Sri ,hks front strut tower brace. I'm getting ALOT more air in and I need to get more out, so I purchased an OBX performance manifold/header and complete exhaust system. Come to find out its a cat delete system (my fault for bein a noob an not paying attention). The factory exhaust has 2 O2 sensors , 1 upper on manifold and 1 mid b4 the cat. The performance exhaust only has the 1 upper on the manifold!! I haven't installed the exhaust yet but planing to within next few days. Any advice/tips/info will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks to all who take the time to help!!!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Search the internet for O2 simulators to replace the mid point sensor.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:04 AM

Thanks, are they vehicle specific? I was thinking about adding a hole an bung for the 2nd O2 sensor, would that work?

Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Adding a 2nd bung is not going to help if the converter is now absent. Why because the computer compares the 2nd sensor output reading with the first sensor (the one before the converter). For a working converter the output signal of the 2nd will be different from the output signal of the first. The converter changes the exhaust gas composition which the 2nd sensor notes.

If the signals from both sensors are same this means the converter is not working/damaged (not changing exhaust composition) or in this case not present. This is the way the computer tells if the converter is bad to set the trouble code.

I am not up to speed on O2 simulators. There are many types of sensors. Some have just the sensor (1 or 2 wires going to it). Others also include a heating element much like a soldering iron element and have 3 or 4 wires. There are also A/F sensors which replaced O2 sensors as more accurate and responsive. You need use a simulator that incorporates the features of what your sensor has.

Note also there are two types of sensor bodies, one bolts on, the other screws on. There may be a difference in electrical plugs between the two.

You best bet is to research the internet for sellers sites and see what is out there.

Call a few sellers stating your needs based on your sensor type you trying to replace. Look at your 2nd sensor wiring, if it has 4 wires it has a heater plus sensor. The simulator much replace both heater and sensor or the check light will trip.

Ebay may also sell these things. Unless the ad is specific as in Toyota 4 wire 02 sensor email the seller first stating your make and year of car plus how many wires your sensor has to confirm the simulator will work.

There are also universal simulators that come with various plugs one that will fit yours.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 PM

What would be the pros an cons of deleting the cat with the setup? Any major problems resulting because of this??

Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Cons are:

Increased exhaust emissions.

It is illegal to eliminate the converter under federal law. Depending on your states inspection and emissions test requirements, the car may or may not pass inspection.

A shop may not want to work on the engine given it was modified perhaps illegally. This to cover themselves if the state inspectors come calling.

Pros are the engine exhaust back pressure will be reduced and the engine might put out slightly more HP.

No major problems as is engine performance, life, etc.