New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Bought new Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Default Bought new Toyota Camry

I bought new Toyota Camry LE V6 4 months ago and completely disappointed how it drives. Transmission jerks, shifts irregulary, slips. Sometimes it's good but most of the time not. Visited dealership 7 times but they didn't find anything wrong. I tried using different gas from 89 to 94 same thing...The dealer told me transmission should learn your drive style and will stop jerking, slipping...after some time. How much time it suppose to learn? So is it normal Toyota "oustanding quality" or it's just my luck? Thank you...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM

Well i too have a camry with me and its so good.It runs so smoothly.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

The engine and trans computers do have a learn mode that supposed to adjust to the driver. How long does it take to learn?. My guess it continues to adjust to the driver until fine tuned. If a new driver, then more learning.

It was not uncommon for previous years of Camry to have issues of trans slipping, hard shifting, etc the result of trans computer software and or trans part design issues. Toyota came out with fixes for these issues.

If the problems don't go away in a few months suggest getting back with the dealer. Trans slipping and hard shifts are not good for the internal parts. If the dealer can't do anything at least have your complaints on the service records on the off chance the the trans starts to fail.

A number of owners have commented about the learning mode and trans issues.

Toyota like other car manufacturers has had problems all along. Due to Toyota's past outstanding reputation it took longer for these problems to surface in the press, car reviews, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Thank you so much for your help. I came to dealer several times with the same result. But the problem fixed by itself. I don't know what happened but it runs very smoothly now with no jerking hard shifting etc. I started believing to smart transmission, it's really learning and it works. The difference between what it was 3 months ago and now like day and night. The learning time was about 6 months. Thank you again.