New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Chevy Gal with an 01 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Default Chevy Gal with an 01 Camry

I was given a 2001 Camry XLE V6 by my Grandmother a few months ago. Its had no problems as of yet, other than it seems like the IFS might need some TLC. It seems to bump steer a little too much. But then again I'm a complete stranger to IFS. My other car... is actually a truck and she's an 88 K5 Blazer.

I like to do my mechanic work myself... but with this car it seems like I may be in for a steep learning curve. Its been serviced regularly, so hopefully I won't run into anything major, like computer related.

It is completely bone stock, but I've got a new head unit on the way so I can play burned CDs! I have issues listening to the radio.

Its going to be taken from Winston Salem, NC... all the way to Gulfport, MS for Christmas. Anything I should do before it makes the trip? I'm gonna check all the fluids, the tires are practically brand new. And I might seafoam it... just to see if I can squeeze some more MPGs out of her.

Name:  WP_000569.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  130.8 KB

Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Pick up a Haynes shop manual for reference. The V6 design makes issues of changing plugs, timing belt, etc, much more time consuming.

Determine when the timing belt was last changed. Toyota has no reference time but 90K is generally accepted.

Most important for long trans life is inspect the fluid. Should be red or reddish not dark or black. Trans fluid in good condition will greatly extend trans life!! If the trans fluid has never been changed, have it all changed. Don't use any chemical cleaners, just get the old fluid out and the new in.

Since your doing your own repairs also check the power steering fluid condition. Many owners suck out the old via a turkey baster or tool used to suck out differential fluid and add new fluid. Do this between drives and the fluid will be clean again. This will save on future pump and rack/pinion seal repairs.

The V6 will get good hwy MPG on long drives.

Take off the front tires and check the boots over the axle CV joints for damage. Torn boots quickly lead to worn out CV joints.

Might check tire pressure, may help the steering. Being a FWD car it may have some torque steer.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I was actually talking about the timing belt a couple days ago with her. She said that whatever was serviced at 90k was done. Thankfully all the service records are in the glovebox, I just haven't gotten around to looking at them. I'm pretty sure she was the first owner, and she's good about keeping records.

The MPG is definitely refreshing after driving my 350 getting like... 9 MPG lol. I'd go down the street and have to fill up again.lol

Also are there any catalogs of parts? like LMCTruck has? I've been looking around but haven't really found anything.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM

I visited those sites, they seem to be fine... but I haven't tried to get some service with them.