New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

E153 Stub Axle Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:35 AM
Default E153 Stub Axle Question

I just completed a 5SFE automatic to a 3SGTE E153 Manual Conversion on my 1993 Celica GT (Thanks to Dr. Tweak' email guidence and wiring harness).

Everything is excellent, but I can't seem to stop a leak on the driver's side differencial seal. I have put 2 brand new Toyota seals in it and it still leaks.

Here are my questions, but if anyone has an idea I would very much welcome some guidence.[/align][/align]My E153 is from a 93 Camry V6, but because I could notfind a drivers side stub axle from anywhere specifically for the Camry and Toyota dealers can't seem to tell you anything about the Camry axle part number without a VIN which I don't have from the original car (I got the transmission from a yard), I used MR2 Turbo stub axles because I could find them and they are both E153s. How far should the gap be between the stub axle ring and the transmission case? I have about a quarter inch gap; just lightly more than the dust shield on the seal; now and I was wondering if perhaps the axle is not engauging enough. Does anyone know if perhaps the stubs are different and that is what might bethe causing a quarter inchgap I have between my stub ring and the transmission case? Is that gap normal?

Also, for some reason my mechanic is using Dextron tranmission fluid in it instead of the 75W-90 GL-5 the E153 recommends. He seems to think the Dextron is better. If I change it to the 75W-90, does anyone think that will stop the leak? Is there any danger in changing it over, as there will surely be residue of the Dextron in there?

I would REALLY appreciate some help on this. I have finally completed a 4 year project, and this little leak is really spoiling what should be a momentus completed event.

Thank you all.[/align]

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Default RE: E153 Stub Axle Question

Well, it appears no one knows how to help me.

However, you will be happy to know I figured it out for myself, so I will share the solution with anyone who reads this for posterity sake in case someone else ever has this problem.

The stub axle sent to me BRAND new from Toyota was apparently about an eighth of an inch too long. Who knows why. This extra length was not allowing the snap ring to engauge properly, therefore under driving stress the axle would move in and out thus causing the leak.

I ground off about an eighth of the end of the shaft, and it worked perfectly.

Moral of the story (which I'm sure all seasoned shade tree mechanics know), you can't always trust car dealer parts departments to give you appropriate parts, even if they are new.

There is no reason for that shaft to have been too long, it just was. Thank goodness I had a grinder available to correct it.

I hope this helps someone someday, as it was a pain for me.

Thanks to anyone who read my initial plea for help and felt any sympathy for me.

Good luck to all.[/align]