New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Fuel and mileage question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Exclamation Fuel and mileage question

Hello so I have 2001 camry that I've had for a year now, with idling issues, throttle positioning sensor issues, and oxygen issues.
Basically when I'm coming to a stop or slowing down it idles roughly and shuts off, stalling me in the middle of the road. It was taken to a shop to get fixed but apparently the issue was never fixed. What exactly is the problem? My mpg is basically like a truck because of the issues

It idles HARD under 1000 rpms when it shuts off

I need to drive 54 miles to work on monday(and Monday only; after that it's 30 miles)
I currently have about a quarter tank of gas (just a little above the quarter notch)
Would I make it there and back ?

Questions above are underlined. Sorry for being all over the place

Old 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Tank holds 18.5 gallons.

What is current mileage? The gauge is not linear but if having 5 gallons at 15 mpg (truck mileage) that's only 75 miles.

What engine model, V6 or 4-cylinder?

What parts have been replaced?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM

It's a 4cyl and I'm not sure on parts. They claimed to have fixed oxygen sensors and fuel pump and whatever was making it stall (which it still does) And it's got 1999xx miles on it and I know that if I fill it up let's say on a Monday and drive 20 miles two times a day it's empty by Tuesday night.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Expect 26 mpg overall city/hwy driving. If steady hwy speeds can get over 30 mpg. Obviously your mileage is very poor.

How does the engine run when cold then hot? The engine has a coolant sensor for computer called ETC. If sensor is bad, computer will keep adding more fuel for as if for cold start operation.

Bad 02 - A/F sensor can cause this but you state these were changed.

A stuck open or leaking injector.

If pump was replaced assume the fuel pressure regulator was replaced.

Check ign spark, each plug wire should be able to generate a white spark able to gap 1/2 inch of air. Check plugs for electrode color and plug condition. Determine if all plugs look the same or a few look different.

Has happened the air filter or air intake system is plugged up, mice, etc.

Or loose or damaged vacuum hoses or damage PCV system. This allows excess air causing engine to die at idle.

How is the engine power, stumbling, lack of power, etc?

Or plugged up emissions converter.

Your best bet is find a shop that can use the cars ODBII system to monitor the engines systems in real time to narrow down the problem location.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

I would assume that this car, running so bad, has a check engine light on? Like Toyomoho said, OBDII scan should narrow the hunt. How does the exhaust look? I mean is there black sooty smoke coming out? Is your tail pipe just blackened? Sounds like your car is running too rich.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Way too rich can also be hard on emissions converter.