New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

hello all and !! some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Well. The fluid from Toyota is around 8$ vs 10 that I would Pay for mobil 1 full synthetic. But the fluid was pretty black (almost like motor oil with 3k miles and only a bit red) the top dog at the dealership told me that their trans fluid last forever and that they don't service these transmissions unless they are having problems. He said they check it for leaks at 100k and if it looks fine they check I again at 200k. I don't think I believe that, I'm still gonna replace it 4 times in a period of about 2 months unless of course y'all recommend a different interval. And I was also thinking to change the filter in the pan. The very last time I hanged the fluid in the tranny. Today I'm gonna wash and wax while enjoying some cold beer.

Cheers

Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota dealers have a chart with colors ranging from red to black they compare with the color of the fluid to determine if it needs changing. This indicates they know the fluid does not last forever. You might be able to find the chart on the internet.

Worn out and dirty fluid is the No 1 cause of trans failure. It is cheap insurance to change the fluid. Synthetic fluid does stand up better to heat but the fact it is changing color indicates it is reacting to heat and moisture from the air.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM

Yea. I know, the dealership tell people to never change the trams fluid so thu can keep their repair shops busy.

How many times and at what intervals do you recommend that I change the fluid? Also I have the filter and gasket for the pan; I should replace it the last time that I drain and fill the fluid right?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the time, skills and already have the filter you can replace it. In doing so also clean the pan of debris and the magnets at the bottom of the pan. You need only do this once job once.

As to changing the fluid. If only 3-4 qrts were changed suggest, repeat the drain and refill process until the fluid becomes red or at least reddish in color again. This may take a number of changes as the new fluid is always being diluted. This is why I recommend a complete fluid exchange.

You can check the fluid condition with blot test. Put a few drops of trans fluid onto paper towel and wait about 30 seconds. If the fluid has spread out and is pink, red or light brown in color, the fluid is OK.

If the fluid has not spread out and is dark brown in color or it should be changed. Don't let the fluid become black.

Suggest an internet search on "transmission fluid color chart" to find photos of what good and bad fluid looks like.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM

i have the filter, the time, but never done this before but i guess i can fig

it out with my haynes manual and with a search online....

well, checked the fluid this morning and it looks nice and pink with a touch

of brown on it (unlike the black stuff that came out of the pan when i

drained it)

Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

The Haynes manual should have enough info. The trans intake screen rarely plugs up, you can inspect once the pan is off. It may not need changing.