New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Long Time Driver, new to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Default Long Time Driver, new to Forum

I've owned three Camrys, an '87, '91 and '01. The '87 was purchased at 6 months old and I kept it to 389K miles and due to one too many cars, ended up selling it. I see it around my town from time-to-time, last showing 410K, running strong. My son once accusing me of driving it like I was driving Miss Daisy, so the plates had to read MS DZY. The engine had never been opened, just timing belts. At 300K I put in a used 5 spd transmission (3rd gear was popping out) and a new clutch. I changed oil at 3K and never had to add oil between changes. She was like family.
I bought the 01 new and pretty much the same story. No major issues. Been a fine car. Timing belt and spark plugs and a 3K oil change interval. Its now at 180K. I changed the timing belt on this car last week after the belt broke about 600 miles short of the 90K mark. After carefully aligning the marks, I reassembled and test drove. The temp gauge shot up far too fast. I limped it home thinking I might have missed the mark by a notch, but found the lower radiator hose stone cold and the heater blowing cold. I squeezed the lower hose several times, the radiator "burped" and started pulling in coolant. I kept pouring coolant in the reservoir until it slowed down and then restarted. Has been running good since. My only issue with the car now [and the reason I found this place] is rear suspension noise and from this forum I'm guessing is the sway bar bushings rattling.
I also own an 06 Tundra and a Sienna van and have found their forums very helpful. Guess I like Toyotas.
Glad to have found you.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
I have also come across the burping issue when coolant has been refilled. Glad to hear everything is running smooth now!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:48 AM
Former Sponsor

SL Stevens, hello and welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you here. Plenty of knowledgeable guys here if you need answers. We are always happy to help. Feel free to reach out if you ever needed anything.