New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New Camry Owner

Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Default New Camry Owner

Hi guys & gals!

Just bought a 2000 Camry CE 4-cyl auto to use as my daily driver. It has 159k miles on it and seems to run pretty good. Seller claimed that the timing belt and water pump were changed 10k miles ago. Other than that I have no idea what history this thing has. She runs quiet and pulls well. The only problem currently is that the drivers door lock doesn't work using the key or electric switch.

What things should I check/do? I've barely owned a Toyota before and most of my wrenching knowlegde centers around VW TDIs.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Check trans fluid for condition. Should be red or reddish, if dark or black change all the fluid. Also change the diff fluid.

If PS fluid is dark suck or syphon out the old and replace with new between drives until the fluid is clean again.

Review posts at this site for post on more items to check.

For the lock determine if the other locks work. All receive initial power from the same source.

Do the other locks open work when the drivers door lock is rotated 2 times?

If they work then the problem is most likely with that doors electric lock actuating mechanism or wiring. You need to remove the door panel to access. If the issue is the actuator the part is available aftermarket.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks Joey!

I'm poking around to see what I can find The door locks on all other doors work using the switch. Pulling the lock back on the drivers door will unlock the others. Unlocking the drivers door via key will unlock all doors. Locking drivers door via key or electric switch will lock all of the other doors besides the drivers door. Sounds like I need to pull the panel and see what is going on behind it.

Is the Haynes manual the best around for the DIY fixer?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Haynes would have something on removing the door panel but may be lacking in detail about removing the lock actuator mechanism if required.

Would state is Haynes is the best for overall reference for the DIY'er. The local NAPA parts store is selling new manuals for under $15. Well worth this price.

The locking device/actuator is held on by 3 screws on the side of the drivers door. Once the mechanism is out the actual actuator parts unbolts.

Actuators do fail but of course don't assume until you have check every thing out

Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 AM

Yep, Haynes would be the best option one of my co-worker use that but didn't know exactly what he does I just saw him buying it... ;P