New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New member; leaky valve cover gaskets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Default New member; leaky valve cover gaskets.

I found ya'll while searching for information to help me with my plan to replace the valve cover gaskets on my '99 Camry V6. I purchased the car new in July, '99 and it has 155,000 miles on it. It has been the most trouble free car I have ever owned and will probably be the last new car I will ever own.

I was quoted $750., by the dealer who sold me the car, to do the valve cover, intake plenum and spark plug tube gaskets and the spark plugs and wires. A local independent shop, I have used and referred business to, quoted $450. Both quotes included parts and labor. I shopped and discovered I can buy the parts for about $150. and I plan to do this at the end of next week. I bought a Chilton manual to go with my Haynes manual and have discovered that a short piece of coolant hose lives under the plenum and I will replace it as well.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. If you think I might be overlooking anything please let me know. For instance; would removing the hood be a worthwhile thing to do?

I look forward to being a member here. I belong to one other car forum which has been a great source of information in my efforts to maintain my old '73 Mustang, which I also bought new and still own.

One other thing! For me and all the other residents along the Gulf Coast: "Please put pressure on your Senators, Congressmen and Congresswomen to fix the oil leak!" Please?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

The link has some good ideas. The person also relocated the knock sensors.

The person posts frequently at the Toyotanation website.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/ar.../t-157503.html

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Thank you very much. I checked it out and that is what I am looking for. Thanks again.

valveguy