General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

Repairing leaky valve seal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Default Repairing leaky valve seal?

Just wondering how complicated a repair like this is. I have a spurt fo smoke everytime I start the car (if it's been sitting for hours) and have decided it's a leaky valve seal.

My own mechanical skills normally are confined to everything OUTSIDE the engine. I've never done in repair of anythign inside the engine, but it seems to that it shouldn't be that much trouble. Remove the valve cover and do the repair?

I'm interested in learning more, but my main concern is there's something spring loaded, etc that will make this a too complicated repair for me and any repair manual I get.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

You are right; it doesn't appear that hard if you have the right tools. You need a fitting to put compressed air on the cylinder you are working on to hold the valve up. A Toyota mechanic friend of mine says it is simple but remember he does it every day. It's also easy if it is not yours and you have transportation for later in the day or the next morning. I have decided to let him do mine for me and I generally don't mind trying anything. It is usually determined by how much time I have. BUT, I have towed a car to a shop after I started working on it and found myself over my head from a tool and equipment position.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Ya, it's not a hard repair at all. Get a leakdown test kit to keep pressure on valves and then just take off the top timing cover to expose the gears. Make some paint marks for timing purposes and then take off the belt and cam pulleys. Put a small screw into the sprung cam gear(s) and then remove the cams. Remove the valve buckets and use a magnetic spark plug socket to put over the valve spring keepers and hit it with a hammer. Remove al hardware and the seal is at the bottom. You may need to buy a special set of pliers if you dont have them allready to remove the seals. To reassemble valve springs there is also a special tool to drive the keepers back into the hat. All else remains just reversed. Besides the few special tools, not too hard of a job or complicated.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:19 PM

how much does a repair like complete valve seal job cost on a 96 camry 4 cyclinder. average shop cost, from toyota dealer to independent shops.

And does the repair fix the problem and how long will it last before smoking again because of leaky valve seal. Another words.. how long will the new seals last bofore leaking again.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM

I have not done this on my Camry but need to do so. I haven't priced it because a friend usually helps me with most repairs and it just costs me dealer prices for parts. I would look locally for an independent import repair shop. That will get you the best price in most cases. I would be surprised if an independent charged more than $200 for the job. Post what prices you find. And yes that should solve the smoke at start up.