New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 04:56 PM
Default New member

Hello,
Last name is Haney and I'm 66 years old. Grew up mostly in Ohio and our house was right on Route 66. Piqua is the name of the town. I have always worked on my own cars. Newest vehicle I've owned is this 1997 Camry CE 2.2L, 5 speed maual. 266000 miles. First time I'm having trouble figuring this thing out. So here goes with the details; Starts fine ,idles well, had a P0401 code so I replaced the vacuum modulator value, cleaned EGR, yet to get to the VSV because of location. Cleared code. Hasn't show up again yet. What it is doing is at a complete stop when you try to take off F or R just as the car starts to move I lose RPMs fast sometimes leading to a stall if your not fast disengaging clutch. Right at 15000 seems like any less it will try to stall, over 1500-1600 rpms it doesn't.. Been studying up on the car. Just bought it and trying to fix it up because of the cost of fuel. I put a post about my problem a day ago on the forum. I'm new to forums on computers so I hope I'm posting this correctly. And thanks to anyone trying to help.
Thank you kindly, Bob H.

Last edited by Bob H.; 04-26-2022 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF.

Did the bogging down occur after the P0401 repairs?

P0401 is insufficient EGR flow detected. Any vacuum hoses left unconnected, off or connected to the wrong port?

Make sure the MAP sensor vacuum hose is connected at both ends to the correct port.

Check ign system wires.

See private message.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:33 PM

Yes I think it did. First I replaced vacuum modulator( took top off, real bad carbon. I didn't blow out the vac lines when I swapped it. Cut back the hose ends to help tighten fit. The P0401 code was cleared. When I went to test drive I notice it then. Thought maybe the computer needed time to adjust. Hasn't tripped the code again. So next day I removed EGR cleaned and no leak,held vac. I have a new VSV valve to put. Will check all vac lines. Berore I started fixing it i checked to see if EGR was moving,it was. Pretty sure that no lines got swapped. I did pull upward on the mod bottom hose to be get it high enough to get it off,I'llcheck to see if it leaking there. I''l look at all the other areas you have mentioned. Thank you for trying to help me out. It nice to talk with other car guys.