New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New member, my 99 CE 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Default New member, my 99 CE 5spd

So here's my VX20 that I picked up for $1700. A little rough around the edges but in overall good shape. Most importantly the engine doesn't leak or burn oil. Got 32mpg driving 80mph on the freeway in Wyoming, not bad for a 20yr+ old car.

I think the car was well maintained for the 1st 10 years of it's life and maybe a bit neglected since then. I was told it had the original shocks on it, considering they functioned at all after 280,000mi is pretty impressive!

Here's my list of stuff I've done on the car so far.
Replaced ALL fluids.
New windshield.
New water pump and timing belt.
New plugs and wires.
New struts
New charcoal canister (was giving a check engine light)
New radio and speakers
New Whiteline anti-sway bars front and rear.
New driver's door weather seal.
New radiator and hoses (was running a bit hot on the freeway)
Replaced burned out gauge lights and HVAC control lights
Replaced broken off rear door handle (used)
Replaced trunk seal (used)
Replaced 2 missing hubcaps (used)
New tires

I'll admit I'm impressed on the build quality of these old Toyotas, even my mechanic said they don't make Toyotas like this anymore. Even with 280,000mi I have no interior rattles, I started getting interior rattles on my BRAND NEW WRX after a year!

I can tell the car was in a front end collision at some point, not sure if the motor is original or not, I'd be kinda surprised if it is original considering it doesn't leak or use ANY oil with as many miles as it has.

Probably dumped way more money into an old car than I should have but hey it's a manual Camry, I'd wager less than 5% sold had the manual. Plus my dad owned a XV20 new when I was in high school so a bit of nostalgia I guess.

I've pretty much done everything mechanically that I wanted to fix on the car, there is some rust at the top of the windshield that concerns me, a local body shop said they could repair it and respray the whole roof for $900 so will probably do that as I know the rust is only going to get worse. Strangely enough the roof has the only rust on the entire car.

Car could probably use a paintjob, roof and hood are faded and the trunk lid is scratched up pretty good. As funny as the beige Camry jokes are... I'd probably change the color if I did a repaint. Although I will say this color hides dirt REALLY well!

The interior is tired as expected but not in terrible shape, I'll probably leave it alone. Maybe get some better floor mats.

I did come across some bodykits that makes the car look awesome, I might do that for the luls I mostly just need a reliable car to get from A to B comfortably and this car does that superably.

Tell me that doesn't look awesome! It hardly even looks like a Camry anymore!

That paired with some old school tuner wheels would look sweet.

Anyway enough blabbing from me, be fun to find someone else fixing up an old 90s Camry on here too!

Old 01-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on your car find and bringing it up to speed. The stick versions are indeed rarer and of course more fun to drive.The Generation 4 Camry's are great cars with great engines. The stick is an additional plus. A solid car.

Get on that rust and the car should last a long time. It is strange as the paint is typically solid. What the car repainted at one time?

New and used parts are readily available.

On a PS note side take out the trunk side well storage area buckets and check for water. There is an interior cabin air vent on the driver’s side hidden by the rear bumper cover. The vent can leak water into the well.

I like your choice in rims. Understated but still stands out.

This is the site for the 90’s Camry.

Enjoy your car!.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:21 AM

The theory behind the rust at the top of the windshield is someone did a poor job removing a windshield at some point and scraped the paint off, allowing rust to set in.

I did notice the left trunk cubby was a little damp the other day, but no rust. I have been taking it to the car wash about once a week.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:48 AM

Congratulations!!! The car looks amazing.