New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member - Strange Handling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Default New Member - Strange Handling Problem

Hello all. I’m new to this forum but not new to Camrys. I've got asignificant problem which brought me here to find some expert opinions.

Ihave a 2005 Camry LE, 4 cylinder, with 235,000 miles that I have had since new.The front lower control arms and front struts were replaced in thelast two Falls.

For the last few months every now and then I could feel a slightslip going into some mild curves as if I hit an icy patch. The tires don’t skid, just the feeling thatthey did. I attributed that to just being the road. I haven't driven it much lately because I ride a motorcycle in the summer. I recently noticed thefront tires had started to wear so I took it to have it aligned and wheelsrotated.

The car now has the same slipping feeling just going down the road at normalspeeds. You can be going straight and you can feel a slight "twitch"of the car. I have had it back to the Front end alignment shop a second timeand they confirmed it is aligned fine to the specs. I completely changed thetires to four mounted Michelin Snows I had and still the car has thistwitch. You can also make it do it going40 or over when you step on the gas the front end goes to the left, let off onthe gas and it goes back to the right. Iwent to a very reputable and experienced shop and when they understood it wasdoing it when stepping on the gas they found what they decided the torque steer was cause by worn motormounts. Everything else appear to betight under the car. I have just gotdone replacing all of the engine/transmission mounts, the three main ones andthe top dog bone. My handling problem isstill there even with the new NAPA mounts. It isn’t quite as bad but still there.

Anybody got anyideas? Now that I have about $450 in newparts I’m upset it still isn’t fixed.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Can the trans be slipping?

Old 09-03-2015, 05:50 AM

I don't really think so. At least at the start of rolling/stepping on the gas it has a strong acceleration. I guess I can put it in gear with my foot on the gas to see. A real bummer. It has been a good car but with the miles and money I have just put into it and without an obvious solution I guess it is time to trade.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Nobody has mentioned this but could this be a rack and pinion gone bad?