New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Newb- Die hard car enthusiast and owns a camry!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Default Newb- Die hard car enthusiast and owns a camry!!

Hey all, I joined this forum because I have had a hard time talking on other message boards which are for general automotive enthusiasts. The thing is, I think camrys, particularly 3rd gen to present gen, look quite pleasent to the eye, and is a nice elegant vehicle. However, other car enthusiasts give me a lot of flack for being a fan of the Camry. I don't understand why the camry gets so much flack. I'll agree- my 1992 LE sedan isn't exhilerating to drive, but it has a smooth ride, quiet and spacious cabin, and a slender side profile with nice body styling. I mean- a 1992 Camry is a 21 year old design at the earliest, so I don't understand why it is considered so bland, when I think 3rd gens are enveloped in subtle curves, with fender flares, and rounded edges, which is more ahead of the styling of many other early nineties cars which were bassically box cars. I also believe the 6th gen, the one just recently replaced by the 2012 model, is really nice asethetically, and has elegant lines, but still gets flack from enthusiasts? Why also, is it that Camrys get much more hate from fanatics than say- an Accord, Altima, or Galant that is a similar vehicle?

When I see something like this, I wonder to myself, why is this considered so "vanilla", because I think it is nicely styled!!
http://images.newcars.com/images/car...-Side-View.png

Alittle about myself, I am 19 and a freshman at Colorado State University. Life is alittle crazy at the moment, as I have to get at least a B in all my weed-out classes to declare Mechanical Engineering. Colorado State is 60th in the nation in undergrad engineering, which is really high, considering Colorado School of Mines is 64th, but we are beat by University Of Colorado at Boulder, which sits at 34th. While our rival CU Boulder has aerospace and rocket science, CSU Fort Collins has a Motorsport Engineering graduate program, A Formula SAE team, and a specialty Motorsport Engineering Research Facility on the foothills campus. We have had many motorsport grads working for prestigous race teams such as Champion Audi, Rahal Letterman BMW, Panoz, and Joe Gibbs. I am originally from Fort Collins, Colorado, and stayed to go to College because the city, although not very ethnically diverse, is overall really highly educated, tolerant, and open minded.