New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

paid $150 for this, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Default paid $150 for this, need advice

okay so this has been a b*tch of a month, my good car was totaled on 9/11, i bought a '94 Nissan Maxima for $500, the automatic transmission goes out. i am out of money so i scrape up $150 and buy a rusty old 1986 Camry LE auto with a very anemic engine and a plethora of issues. i need help with some things with this:

1) neither of the driver side windows roll up. front one goes about half way up then stops, rear one shows no desire to move whatsoever. how to fix this?

2) the power sunroof doesn't open. when i hit the switch i hear a motor straining, and it moves about and inch then sits there and clicks. how to fix this?

3) the body has both front fenders with rust holes in them, does any company sell replacement body parts for this old of this car? there is also some minor rust in various other places but nothing i can't fix.

4) the base of the automatic shifter thingy is broken, where can i get another? who sells OEM parts online?

5) this thing is painfully slow. the engine says like 2s-e or something. are there any other engines that will swap in, with more power? does any company offer power upgrades for this engine? how much power is the stock engine rated at??

6) did this gen Camry ever offer a manual transmission, can i swap in a manual trans? from what car?

7) car runs okay, trans shifts okay, 169k miles. is it worth putting money into to fix it up, or do i save my money for something better and just do the minimum to keep it running?

Thanx and pics will be up within a couple days. Cheers,
Brendan

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Default RE: paid $150 for this, need advice

honestly, that camry isn't going to be worth your time/effort because - lets face it.. (i don't wanna say it because i don't wanna seem like im bustin' ur chops) - well yeah.. keep it minimal running condition; maintain it and be happy with it. You'll be far far better off with something else. Go hit up www.toyotanation.com that community has more gen 1/2 drivers than this board. good luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

I would do the minimal fixes to keep it running and just save up for something else . I got to admit, i love my camry and all, but I wouldnt want to pour more money into something that would cost more than the car.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

save up yo. its a perfect beater, nothing more.

haha i love how its all gen4's responding now.