New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Power steering leak, what is the worst situation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 PM
Default Power steering leak, what is the worst situation?

03 Camry. found groaning of steering wheel, so filled some power steering liquid, then works well immediately, but after 2 days, found the leak drops under right-front of car and groaning comeback (same groaning as before).

Then tried Lucas Powersteering Stop-Leak, it works better than add PS liquid, but after 2 days, there is a little groaning comeback (not big as before). I guess there is hole which cause leaking rather harden or worn seal problem.

Just wonder, what is the worst situation (hose, pump, or steering rack pinion problem?) , I am thinking if it is worth to fix it.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Find out where the leak is.

A leak at the rack seal (rubber bellows where the steering arm comes out of) will be TIME consuming and expensive to fix. Power steering pump and hose much less so.

The concern is if the power steering reservoir runs out of fluid, the pump will be damaged.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the explain.

I checked and found there is lots of drop wet under a piece of metal hose which shape like "U", which locates the bottom of low pressure hose. Both end of the "U" hose is dry and connect to two rubber hose. It needs to replace the "U" metal hose, because it is rusty and wet.

Does it need to replace both 2 rubber hose as well? except replace the rusty metal hose between them.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Thank you for the details. I believe it is the 1244416-06100
Lower Return Hose, the left part (which is around 10cm meta is rusty and wet), the other rubber hose is dry.

The groaning of steering came 3-4 weeks ago, and has been existed from then, before fill PS liquid. It mean, the car keep running with groaning steering... I feel shame.
Just wonder, In this case, if the pump has been damaged? How to check the PS pump?

Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Is the groan now constant regardless of you refilling the PS reservoir? If so the pump may have problems.

If the pump runs out of fluid it may seize up. The pulley will stop turning and the belt rotating it will make a great squeal as it slips over the now none rotating pulley.

If the groan goes away with fluid refill, keep the reservoir full until the leak is fixed!!!!!

A return line fluid leak would be slower as the line has low fluid pressure.

You can check for an aftermarket (non-Toyota) hose at sites like Rockauto.com.

If the pump has its own drive belt which does NOT drive any other pulley. You can remove the belt and revert to manual steering.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the clear answer.

The groan disappear immediately after filled ATF.

I have some doubt on current AFT. In previous time I do not remember I have replaced PS fluid or not. I saw some oil leak on ground so I check with technician, was told that is a little engineering oil leak, no need to repair.

But recently, after filled ATF to against the PS leak, I saw lots of leak, for sure it is ATF leak. Because Toyota stop providing traditional PS fluid, so ATF is only choice. But it looks ATF is easy leak than traditional PS fluid? In local store, I found a traditional PS fluid specific for Asian made car, its price is 4 times of AFT (Brand of Mobile).

Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

The car uses Dexron III. Search internet for Dexron III ATF.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:08 PM

A mechnican said he can use rubber pipe to replace the part of steel pipe which leaking. Just wonder if there is any risk for use rubber to replace steel pipe?

The leaking part of steel pipe is the curve part. It is always wet, and the floor below it is always piled with fluid, same color as fluid (pink as ATF) which I poured into power steering can, so I think that is the exactly leaking part.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

The PS system has both high and low pressure lines. If the leaking steel line is high pressure, the replacement must be able to withstand the same high pressure.