New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Single Mom - need advice if wise purchase or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:51 AM
Default Single Mom - need advice if wise purchase or not

Please I am hoping someone can help me. Was in a wreck less in a month ago (no one injured) and my insurance declared our car a "total loss". The insurance only gives you so long to look before they no longer pay or a rental. I have looked at SO many cars.. need advice on one I saw.

2014 Toyota Camry XLE almost 40,000 miles they want 16,400.00 for it and want me to put down 6,000.00 (I have no debit and pay cash for everything so credit history is like I am starting out which is reason for such a large down payment)..

Please.. I seriously need advice.. I don't know if this is good or bad.. sounds like a lot of miles to me.. need to make a decision by Tuesday. (actually some time today - since the dealer will be calling me to let me know my intrest rate/payments).. Don't know if I should take it or RUN... I also have the option of buying a brand new Nissan Altima SV for little over 18,000 which sounds tempting with the warranty but more than I wanted to spend (but then the Camry is too but not by much).. sorry so wordy just wanted to try to explain. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 AM

I dont know the asking prices in america
for a two year old car with good after sales warranty ,full service history
registration /insurance

look online for that same car for sale private and car yards
in your local area or state to make sure the offer is a fair deal
this is just one review on that 2014 Toyota Camry XLE
2014 Toyota Camry Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and Photos - The Car Connection

purchase pending a satisfactory inspection is a good option ...
get an independent vehicle check over the whole car

my thoughts
pressure from any car sales people to decide in a day doesn,t sit well with me

Last edited by dirty hands; 10-17-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 AM

There is no warranty (bumper to bumper) but there is some of the Drivetrain left. I really feel in my gut that it is just WAY too many miles. I am just so scared of not finding something but then if I do making the wrong choice. The salesman tried to get me to take it home.. but I declined. (I know better than to fall for that.. that I do know). Don't know what would help someone see the car I am talking about.. would the VIN number help?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM

if it was a sales reps car or taxi the km would be much higher
20,000 miles per year inst over the top

The average family car is usa is driven 15,000 miles per year

what you would be traveling per year ..if much less
this camry should last you a good many years

keep up the log book servicing always

drive line warranty is helpful

the vin can help you do a search on the cars past credit history
to see nothing is owned on it from a past owner

through the road authority if stolen or possibly been a write off and repaired

if wise purchase or not..is not something any one on any forum can say unless on the spot and checking out the camry

Last edited by dirty hands; 10-17-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:13 AM

the vin number is - 4T1BF1FK4EU840672

it looks good to me but I don't know much about cars (except how to drive and where the gas goes basically).. it's just that the miles seem so high.. and without a warranty I worry. (like your saying under your post - I over think as well, guess that is part of being a single mom).. As for how much I drive, we live and I work in the same city.. and at least twice a week we travel to a connecting city.. that is only about 20-30 minutes away.

Since I last replied.. I have called the place that had service our car that was in the wreck.. they are going to look at it for me. (that is if the salesman will let me take it) if he doesn't guess that is telling and I will know.. not the right move.

Last edited by Onalark; 10-17-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

If your now in the $16-18K spending range. Consider paying more for a new car. The vehicle is after all new, has a warranty and there is no need to check out the condition and history of a used car

Nissan makes good cars.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:12 PM

I just picked up a used 2015 LE with 21,000 miles for $16,400 and picked up an extended warranty (5 years, 100,000 miles) for about $1,800. I also went through my credit union for financing, so I didn't have to put anything down and my payments are only $295.00 a month.

The car was certified by the dealer. I know the XLE is a more expensive model though, so can't really say if yours or even mine is a good deal. All I know is I love this car.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 AM

Update - I passed on the used Camry. The salesman was EXTREMELY pushy. Terrible!!! It had (what I felt) high miles and no warranty. I wanted to take it to where we had our old car worked on for them to inspect it - the salesman was like - "We wont pay for that!!!!" (the car place we go doesn't charge for that - it is a courtesy) I had been following the "Dave Ramsey" rule of paying for things - meaning no debt and paying cash for everything, which meant when they ran my credit it was a 0 (zero). it was like I was starting out.. they were able to see at one time I had credit and didn't see any "bad marks" but with it being so long ago it gave me score of 0 (zero).. Learned through this process it is good to have "debt" as long as you pay it off EVERY month and not good to only pay cash. Lesson learned. The interest rate wasn't BAD not great but not bad.. and I can refinance in a year to get it lowered even more and in the meantime be building my credit.

As for what I did end up buying - toyomoho - I did end up buying a new Nissan. With the deal the dealership had it was so much cheaper than any of the other Nissan places around us and in the long run I wouldn't be dealing with someone else's "problem" or the pushy salesman. Also it has a warranty.. and took out more as well (please don't say I shouldn't have - I did and it is done.. but it didn't make that much difference in my price per month and gave me piece of mind in the event something was to happen) Also, I always heard it was smarter to buy used and not new but with the discounts they were giving on the car it wouldn't be like I was taking that "much" of a hit.

Now that I made my purchase (which is going to be different after so many years of having NO car payment) I was able to eat something, get some sleep, and stop crying (due to worry and frustration).

Thank You everyone.. I really appreciate it.. honestly!!!

Last edited by Onalark; 10-18-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Very good!

If a salesman is too pushy and you feel uncomfortable go elsewhere.

I concur with all your reasons to buy the Nissan. Buying used can be a better deal but one needs to factor in possible repairs. If you are already stressed then repairs on top of car payments can add to this.

As to credit, I understand paying cash but as you find it doesn't make for building credit.