General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my mom get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Default Did my mom get ripped off?

Here's the story. My mother has a 2000 Camry, with 35,000 miles. Yes, 35,000. It does sit for 3-4 months at a time, as she travels frequently. She has had oil changes (maybe not enough of them, but every 5k-8k) and new tires and brakes, but no other work done.

Anyway, it started slowly leaking a red fluid. Transmission, brake, I don't know as I didn't look at it. She took it to the Toyota dealer in Costa Mesa, CA.

They apparently told her that since the car was 11 years old, and it should have a BUNCH of work done. New timing belt, other belts/hoses, new water pump, ALL the seals replaced (they didn't know which was leaking apparently). It was all sold to her as "preventative maintenance" that should be done before something else fails. Maybe $2,000 worth of work.

Wish she would have called me first, but she authorized the work to be done. Is all this work really a good idea? Is just the age of the car enough to warrant replacing things, even though there are only 35k miles on the engine?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:15 AM

so she's had like only 6 oil changes in 11 yrs? But driven hard enough
to need both new brakes, new tires before 35,000 miles! Talk about maintenance free ...

Originally Posted by dbsanders
... but she authorized the work to be done.
Is all this work really a good idea?
I'd say, she made her decision; but, what are you going to do with the opinions you are seeking here?

Relax, open a brew, and check back in a couple yrs from now and tell us if car has worked well for your mom.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Did the dealer find the problem causing the red fluid to leak? Red fluid is used in the trans, differential and power steering.

One issue is the age of the parts.

Timing belt change is recommended every 90K or something like 8 years. In changing the belt the water pump, cam and crank seals are now accessible. Timing belt replacement cost is typically $500 at the dealer, add another $250 for a water pump. I don't know if I would have replaced the pump, they should be good for 150K plus.

The belt and hose replacement is a good idea, these break down with age.

Dealers do tend to go overboard, with the exception of the water pump would state the rest of the work was OK, perhaps a little premature but the seals, belts, hoses can and do fail.

I assume of the coolant hoses were replaced so was the engine coolant. The anti-freeze chemicals do not wear out but corrosion inhibitors do. Suggest changing the coolant every 3 years regardless of mileage.

I suggest changing the oil more frequently, say 5K miles or once a year which ever comes first. 8K is too many on miles on an engine that sits all the time.

Check the power steering and trans fluids. These should be red not dark. If you mother is going to keep the car for another 11 years suggest changing all of the trans fluid at 40k (including the differential). This is cheap insurance against trans failure.

Brake fluid tends to absorb water and turn dark. The water cause corrosion in the brake system. If never changed might do this also, cheap insurance.

The PS fluid can be removed from the reservoir with a suction device such large syringe used to suck out fluid from differentials. Then replace with new fluid. Start the engine, let the fluid circulate then repeat until the fluid is clean again.

Keeping clean and fresh fluids in the car will go a LONG way toward keeping future repair costs of the trans, PS, engine and brakes down!