New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

starting my 95 camry does nothing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 PM

I replaced the pos and neg. origninal terminals, cleaned the battery posts. I cleaned the ground below the neg post on the chassis. Two new brass terminals used. The NSS was slightly off ..not much. when it did run this morning I shifted through all the gears without a problem, tried starting in the N and no problem.
I'll check the grounds again. just seems strange that is starts up out of blue in the dead of cold.

Thanks......

Old 01-18-2016, 05:44 PM

try this
kick it in the tyres... that car should be starting

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-18-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Try the following:

On the starter solenoid. Locate where the LARGE diameter Red/Black electrical cable attaches to the starter solenoid by a nut and stud. This is the LARGE RED/BLACK diameter cable not the small red/black wire.

The LARGE Red/Black cable runs directly to the +12V battery terminal and has constant +12V.

The starter motor is comprised of the starter solenoid and starter motor which are bolted together. The starter solenoid has both the Red/Black large cable and small wire attached to it. The solenoid also has another large electrical cable bolted to a stud that runs to the starter motor. You don't want this cable.

The return route electrical connection (-12V) for the starter is via the starters metal housing, engine block then a jumper cable between the engine and chassis and finally through the negative battery cable which is also bolted to the chassis.

Once you find the where the LARGE Red/Black cable attaches to the starter solenoid expose the terminal end which may have a removable plastic cover. Caution this terminal has constant +12V.

Once done remove the small push on Red/Black wire from the starter solenoid.

Obtain a section of small diameter electrical wire (1 foot). Momentarily connect the wire between the large electrical terminal on the solenoid and the push on connector on the solenoid.

This will apply +12V directly to the starter solenoid. If all works the engine will start to turn over but will not start unless the ign key is on.

If the starter works OK, the starter, starter solenoid and battery connections are OK.

If nothing happens post back.

If all OK, using the volt meter and assistant. Connect the black wire of the volt meter to the negative terminal of the battery and red wire to the push on connector of the SMALL red wire.

You want to check for voltage. Have the assistant the turn the ign key to start and hold it there. Then you check for +12V. If you don't get any voltage indication have the assistant move the ign key from off to start a number of times as if trying to start to the engine but nothing was happening.

If you still don't get 12V or the voltage is intermediate. the problem is in the starter circuit. This being the wiring circuit routing to starter relay, Park/Neutral switch, ign key, starter fuse, etc.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM

I purchased two new ground cables, one to the block the other to the body. cleaned the connections and reattached to the battery. same issue

In time it will run.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 PM

i dont get that

have you done the other volt checks from toyomoho list

the 95 camry has a starter relay in the engine bay black box the black cover should have a position diagram

Last edited by dirty hands; 01-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:10 AM

Replaced both chassis ground and body ground and still did not start. I'm in the process of pulling the computer and hitting the junk for a used one.

Why did I buy this car?