New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Starts cold but won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Question Starts cold but won't restart

I own a 92 Camry with the 5SFE (OBD1-Calif.) engine and am having starting issues. I pulled the 15A ECM fuse a couple of weeks ago to clear the codes. After reinstalling it my car started and ran greater than it had in a long time. During the Thanksgiving week I did not drive it and the weather changed from Fall to Winter and we had rain. Today it started right up cold and ran as usual and I drove to the gym. After my workout it would just crank and not start. No CEL light but I jumped the terminals E1 and T1 to check for codes but the check engine light just flashed continuously, well beyond 100 and no pauses. What would cause the codes to flash in this way? What about a bad ECM (it's the original)? I am going to go back to the car this afternoon and try my luck again for clues, if nothing else. Hoping it might start, too. I have replaced the temp sensor in the past 6 months and the coil/ignition wires. Hoping one of you guys have seen this before and have a solution that works.

Got it to start when I went back, just like it is supposed to. Noticed a slightly rough idle at stoplights, otherwise seemed OK. It's in the driveway now but I don't trust it.

Last edited by rhysgt; 11-28-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 11-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

If the check light just flashes no codes are stored.

You replaced the temp sensor for the engine computer?

Read up on cleaning the IAC valve.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:37 PM

Right about the flashes and no codes.
To clarify, the temp sensor on the block that signals the ECU.
Took the IAC apart and cleaned thoroughly about 1 yr ago. Think I should recheck the vacuum lines, tho'.

Possibly something is making the ECU think it is running rich so it leans out the injectors, aka no fuel. The throttle position sensor was adjusted to specs for what that's worth and the PCV is new. Will also test fuel pressure, fuel filter, and the fuel pump if necessary.

Last edited by rhysgt; 11-30-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

If running rich check out the first O2 sensor on the exhaust system coming off the head.

The ECU temp sensor would have two wires going to it and be on the coolant manifold on head (block).

Old 12-02-2016, 03:25 PM

The O2 sensors check out OK at 0.9 volts.
Today I removed the IAV and cleaned it good, again. No binding of the moving part. Resistance of coil on IAC is within range. Started OK with great idle at operating temperature. Shut it off and went inside for lunch and returned 30 mins later. Would not start just like before. Fuel pump is working fine, so that's not it. Will test the resistance of ECU temp sensor again to rule that out; if no signal when warmed up maybe that's at fault. Will also research testing the ECU to rule it out, just in case.