Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'92 Camry Wagon Hot Restart Problems

Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Default '92 Camry Wagon Hot Restart Problems

Regarding at 1992 Camry Wagon (4 cylinder).

At no time does the motor run hotter than ususal, but lately, if I stop someplace and turn off the motor, the engine will crank but not start.

I have to let the car sit, often with the hood open, for 30-60 minutes until the temp gague gets down near C before it will start and run again.

I figure some relay or sensor has gone bad, but I wonder if anyone has more expertise in this matter. I have no other problems in how the car runs. I just can't stop someplace and risk turning off the motor if I need to get back on the road within an hour.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Is there a spark when you crank it ? if yes then check fuel, a simple way is to remove the spark plugs and crank, fuel should shoot out of cylinders ( be very careful of course ).

check those 2. also try removing the relays when key is in on position, see if any doesn't click.

try that and tell us how it goes.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

I have a 4C 1989 Camry wagon and I have a strange problem with it. I has about 140K on it and I bought it used about a year ago. The problem is as follows: The starter does not turn (as if the battery is dead). This happens only when the car is hot (say having driven it for about an hour or so). It is not the battery or starter since both are new.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Did you check the battery cable between the battery and starter solenoid and the battery ground cable?

In the wiring between the starter solenoid and battery is the clutch or Park/Neutral switch. The manual trans also has a starter relay.

The ign switch powers either the starter solenoid or starter relay that in turn powers the solenoid.

Use a section of wire to jump the battery cable terminal on the starter solenoid to a small wire terminal on the solenoid (the small wire connects to either the ign switch or starter relay). Determine if the starter motor now turns over. If so the problem is in the above circuit.

Connect a jumper cable between the positive battery terminal and battery terminal on the starter solenoid and try to start the engine. If the starter turns over the battery cable is bad. Ditto for the negative battery cable.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:41 AM

Did you check the battery cable between the battery and starter solenoid and the battery ground cable?