New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

Thump Thump Thump

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:33 PM
Default Thump Thump Thump

Hello all from Rhode Island.
I have a thump. 150k on 2005, 4 wheel discs. Bought it in July, put new tires, suspension seemed tight on the lift. Starting a few weeks ago I had a small thump and a vibration from the front left side, and it got worse quickly. I think the thump was always there but just not very noticeable. The caliper was frozen
( looks like a new caliper ). Put new brakes/rotors, caliper is cleaned and working fine. No more vibration but I still get the thump every spin of the wheel. It gets thumpier when I'm taking long turns like an on ramp. Rotated the spare on the front and it makes the same noise.
Front left dust shield was rusted almost off, very little rust elsewhere. New axles that seem very tight. I think there was a problem on the front left side and the rotor wear and caliper were a symptom. My guess is the PO replaced the caliper and brakes recently but something else is going on. One owner car dealer maintained.
Funny thing is that I just bought my daughter a 2002 with 90K and it makes the same noise, just not as loud, If I didn't have the same thump I probably never would have noticed it.
My first thought is a bearing but it seems like a bear of a job. I can do it all but press the bearing. Is this a common problem?
I have been driving a 5th Gen for about 4 years and have found it to be a great car, easy to work on, great milage and comfortable if not very exciting. This is the first mystery problem.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Tried to diagnose things this morning but everything seems pretty tight when there is no weight on the tires. One thing I never thought about is control arm bushings. I might just replace everything up front, control arms, ball joint, sway bar links, inner/outer tie rods. The bearing seems like the only thing that may be difficult without a press. I plan on keeping the car for a while, very comfy for longer trips. It just doesn't make sense to replace something that will require an alignment and not replace it all. Especially when I don't know what the problem is.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Thump noise?

Have you checked the tires? Perhaps the tire is separating. Try rotating tires.

Make some 360 degree turns in both directions to transfer the weight from one side of the car to another.. More weight on a bearing can cause it to make more noise. Determine if noise get louder or quieter.

A failing axle half shaft can also make noise. When doing the test above try adding power and coasting. Listen for a clicking noise.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the response. I did rotate tires and used the spare. No difference. I'll try the weight shift this afternoon. I have a decent ear and feel for subtle changes, and I have driven about 90K on various 5th gen Camrys. This is the first car I've had that I suspect a bearing but can't inspect it. After 40 years of turning wrenches I might be pressing my first wheel bearing! Plenty of videos out there too! Some people are just downright dangerous.
I've also been doing searches here and on other forums, lots of great advice to be had. This is a great car to work on and a knowledgeable group.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:53 AM

The thump lessens quite a bit when turning right and increases quite a bit when turning left. No clicking from the shaft and they both look like they are fairly recent replacement shafts. Do these cars have any transmission issues that might cause a vibration? Just thinking out loud.
I'm going to put it on stands and check all the bushings and motor mounts again this weekend before I start replacing things. Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

No trans thumbing noise issues I know about. There may have been torque converter shutter and shifting issues.

The trans model is located on a sticker on the drivers side door. Something like U241E for the 4 cylinder. An internet search on car model, year and trans type will show hits for any problems.

There was a suspension knocking noise issue with the upper strut mounts. Worn stabilizer bushings can cause a knocking noise. Both of there would occur when going over bumps.

When turning and if a bearing, would be the side experiencing the increased wheel loading (chassis down side)..

If changing the bearing need a press or shop having said press.

On off chance make sure the axle nuts are tight

Old 01-12-2020, 04:48 PM

So it was beautiful this weekend in New England. I put the front on jack stands and put it in gear. The left side was the thump side. I changed the ball joint, inner/outer tie rod, hub and bearings and axle. No more thump. My guess is it was the bearings but once I had everything apart I figured I might as well do the axle. Less than $300 for quality parts. Going to do the ball joint and tie rod on the other side and get it aligned. Good for another 50K miles. Thanks for the feedback.