New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

TPMS Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
Unhappy TPMS Help!

Hi I am new to the forum world so please forgive me if I do something wrong. I own a 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6. My TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) light comes on randomly. When I first start the car there is no light, after driving for a little while the light will start to flash then eventually it will just stay on. On longer trips it will flash then come on and sometimes it will just shutoff on its own. Is this a faulty sensor? Will it come on if there is too much air pressure? Is there an easy way to tell which sensor is bad? I just purchased this from a dealership and of course this starts when there limited warranty expired but I do have an extended warranty plan. I was just hoping that the fix is simply because the extended warranty is a $100 deductible and I would rather save that money. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

I forgot to mention that all four tires are filled to 40psi and the recommended is 30psi. The reason I filled to 40 is because on my previous vehicle (Nissan Murano) when I filled to the manufacturer’s recommendations my tire gauge would read the correct psi but the car would read/show that it is lower than recommended so the low pressure light would come on. So I started to fill the tires 5 psi over then the light goes away. So I tried this theory on my Camry with no luck.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

If the light blinks for 1 minute then stays on there is a problem with the TPMS which may require dealer attention. The system has a diagnostic setup but requires tapping into the TPMS computer.

There is a button in the glove compartment that resets the system to the current tire pressures. The owners manual should have something on how to reset the system, if not post back. Take note the spare tire may also have a sensor, set all 5 tires at the same pressure before resetting system.