New Member Area New to Toyota Camry Forums? Stop in tell us about you.

VSC System

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Default VSC System

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry and periodically the VSC indicator will come on. It's not a light but words in the center display. Also the traction control light and warning triangle will light up. I am not sliding but sitting in my driveway. When I go the steering wheel is crooked like the alignment is way out. After a short distance I hear a clunk in the rear and the steering wheel straightens up. The warning indicators will stay on for a while. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was the fix? Hoping it's just a malfunctioning sensor that I can replace without spending a thousand bucks at the dealer.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

The lights are a symptom not a cause. Speculating the warning lights come on because the steering wheel is not lined up (crooked). When the steering wheel does line up the lights go off.

The major concern is what is causing the car to pull to one side. Highly suggest you have someone inspect the cars rear suspension for excess play/damage. Plus possible a brake problem as in a sticking brake (maybe emergency),

Old 11-25-2019, 05:11 PM

I think you may have misunderstood. I didn't say the warning lights come on causing the steering wheel to be crooked and the car to pull. I never said the car pulls. The VSC indicator comes on and the warning triangle and traction control lights come on. The system is detecting a skid and it is designed to keep the steering wheel/car going in the same direction to "control" the skid. The problem is the car has been parked in the driveway overnight. I started it and put it on the road, noticed the steering wheel 45 degrees off and these lights came on. After 500 feet I heard a clunk in the rear. When I made the first turn the wheel was straight. And no the lights don't go off immediately. There is a malfunction with the VSC system. I'm just wondering if its as simple as a sensor that I can replace or is it going to cost more than the car is worth.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Once the steering wheel straightened out did all the lights go off?

Has this event happened again?

Something made the clunk in the rear. Suppose it is possible the skid system was causing one brake to drag then released it. After the clunk did the car seem to accelerate as in a brake was on and now released?

There is a sensor behind the steering wheel that detects the rotational position of the wheel. The normal wheel position centered (not crooked).

If the car is going straight and the steering wheel is not centered the skid system thinks there is a problem and the lights will come on.

For whatever reason when you are first driving the wheel is not centered but the car is going straight. This is causing the lights to come on.

When first starting to drive, you stated the steering wheel was crooked. If you rotated the wheel to center it would the car move to drive off the road?

Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 AM

The VSC indicator goes out only when the car is turned off. Yes when the wheel is crooked and I center it the car will steer off the road. It does sound like a wheel position sensor. I'll see if the one behind the steering wheel is accessible without going to a shop.