Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

02 Camry LE CV boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Default 02 Camry LE CV boots

My 02 LE needs new CV boots. During a recent brake fix the mechanic showed me the cracked boot. They suggested I take care of it before it gets worse. My Camry has treated me good for 125,000+ miles, so I guess I'll take care of her. I got a high quote from Pepboys for the part + core fee, but I'm skeptical. I think I can get a better price online and pay for the installation. Do you think this isa good route? I don't know where or what to buy so any help on the exact model (perhaps a web link to a store) to purchase would be helpful. Is there a great place to buy parts like that online? How much should I pay for the job? Thanks for everyone's help in this matter,
rey830

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 02 Camry LE CV boots

Is the boot cracked open or split? This issue with replacing boots is the axle needs to be removed, a time consuming job. If the boot is already open grease has been allowed to excape and dirt enter. The odds are the CV joint will fail within a year or two because of this. As such it is often better to just replace the complete axle as the work involved is the same.

A good start is to do an internet search, there are numerious site selling auto parts. One site is www.rockauto.com.

What was the price you were quoted?

Some shops don't allow owner parts. They can not warrant the part, however they also make a profit on the parts they sell you.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Really it is faster and not much more expensive to replace the CV axle. Most auto parts stores sell them for $70.

To just replace the boots, you still have to remove axle and joints, might be cheaper, but it is time consuming.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

If doing the work yourself consider most axles available aftermarket are rebuilt. Rebuilding can range from a complete overhaul of the axle and CV joints to just clean, paint and new boot installation.

If one does not know the quality of the rebuilt axle, rebooting an OEM axle with low miles that has not yet split (cracked only) may be the better route.

If having a mechanic do the job labor must be considered. Just get some kind of warranty on any rebuilt axle.

If the boot has split and the car has be operating for some time in this condition replace the axle as damage has most likely be done.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Yea, I would NOT buy a rebuilt axle, unless you can confirm it is the axle designed for your car.
When people turn in cores, they may turn in a core that does not even fit the vehicle, they throw it in the box and the remanufacturer usually replaced boots, checks CV bearings and tripod bearings, clean it and put back in box.

As Toyo said best thing to do is to reboot the original axle, OR get a new Toyota axle.

The "NEW" axles most autoparts stores sell are made in china, as are brake rotors.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Maybe you can check this site and see what they offer.
AutoPartsASAP.com - Aftermarket & OEM Replacement Auto Parts