Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

2003 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Default 2003 brakes

I have a 2003 LE and the brakes vibrate and shake terribly when going down steep hill. Also, the ABS seems to activate very easily. If I hit a bump or just regular braking at a stop sign they activate. I did notice that my front rotors have a large groove worn in them on the inside of the rotor. There is also a lot of wheel noise from the front left wheel. I had the CV joints checked and then replaced, but still have loud road noise from the front. Any help and or advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Wheel noise when braking or ?

A squeal, roar, howl, etc.

Does the steering wheel also shake when braking or pulsation from the brake pedal?

A bad brake could be grabbing causing the ABS to activate.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM

no wheel noise other than a constant sound just like a bad CV joint.
yes, vibration in the steering wheel and pulsation in pedal that is unlike the ABS activation.
The ABS activation is very evident when it is activated.
The "funny" thing is that when there is this problem when braking down steep hill the ABS does not activate, but when cruising along a bumpy road at decent speed and I touch the brake the ABS activates with little need to become active.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

"Constant sound like bad CV joint." Is this a click or pop in time with the wheel rotating?

Is the ABS dash light coming on?

In general vibration steering wheel shake and brake pulsation is caused by the front brakes often referred to as warped rotors. The rotors may not actually be warped but the combination of brake rotor and pad no longer are able to grip normally which shows up as pulsation and shake.

The ABS system may be reacting to this problem as the system activates based wheel rpm which could now vary to much between tires during braking.

However this does not explain the noise. Are the pads worn down to the metal backing and now there is metal to metal contact between the rotor and backing?

Suggest you have the front brakes looked at. Unless something unusual is happening (check out the noise source) suggest replacing the rotors and pads. Use a quality rotor like Brembo and perhaps stock Toyota pads.

Fixing the brakes should cause the ABS system to stop activating. If not the ABS sensor for one of the front wheels may be bad.

The shaking and pulsation is independent of ABS action thus fix the brakes first.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM

The sound is like a constant "hum" when the wheel turns.
The ABS light is not on.
The pads are not that worn down, but they are not smooth. In fact, they have a severe groove in them.
I am going to replace the pads and the rotors.
I also plan on bleeding the brakes.
Would anyone happen to know the bleed pattern on my 2003 Camry LE 4cyl

Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Does the hum increase in volume as the cars MPH increases until the sound may blend into the road noise?

When the hum occurs move the steering wheel slightly one way then the other and determine if the noise increases of decreases depending on direction.

A worn bearing can make a hum. If worn enough to cause shaking and pulsing you may be able to feel roughness or play it if you rotate the tire when of the ground or grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake it.

Toyota has no preference but typically the longest line first, then next longest, etc. Make sure the brake reservoir never runs out of fluid or air will get into the system.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Default 2003 brakes question

hi. does anyone know what years are compatible with the 2003 camry xle for brakes. I'm looking to get a deal from a guy I know and I called a couple parts places who gave me different answers. My friend's come from a '99. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

V6 or 4 cylinder engine, what rim diameter? Rotor size depends on both.

As to if a 2003 rotor (and other parts) fit a 1999, compare part numbers at sites such as Rockauto.com.