Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need help with brakes and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Default Need help with brakes and suspension

Hello everyone, I have under my care a 98 camry le V6 and I need some help. It's not mine it's my mom's, I have a saab.

1. What can I do about the brakes on this car? They're terrible, I feel this sense of impending doom everytime I press them. What sort of pads do you guys recommend? Is there anything easy to swap in, like a more powerful master cylinder from a supra or soemthing? Basically is there anyway to make this thing stop better than a truck with investing huge $$$ in a big brake conversion.

2. The stock shocks have almost 120K on them, and I'm not sure, but I'd say they've probably had it by this point. I need a good aftermarket performance replacement that won't ruin the ride. I wanted bilstein HD's, I have them on my saab and they're awesome, but they don't make em for the camry. I'm not really interested in springs, she won't use them, just a good shock to keep things under control so it doesn't go around a corner like a boat. Also are there any good anti roll bars for this car that won't drastically alter the handling. Most importantly the stock understeering characteristics must remain.

Other than that this car is amazing, it's gone 116 thousand miles without a single mechanical failure. And I haven't been swapping parts, just an oil change every 5K-6K and a tranny fluid change every couple years.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Need help with brakes and suspension

I have a 98 camry V-6. I use Preformance Friction-Carbon metalic pads F&R.They work very well.
As far as struts I'v used both Monroe Sencatrac and KYB-GR-2 . The Monroes work well and are a little softer than the KYB-GR2.
Go to Shockwarehouse.com for a preview of struts.

Old 03-18-2006, 10:12 PM

The monroe sensatrac sound like a good option, it needs to be as comfortable as possible. I'm curious as to how long they lasted on your car and how you'd rate them against the OEM shocks. About the brakes pads, how noisey are they if at all and how does the effort required to stop compare to stockish pads. Thanks for the help by the way.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

1. you can get rotora big brake kit or stop tech big brake kit.....urd have stop tech big brake kit on sale...$1399
2. i have tokico hp shock on my car its petty good too...or u can try trd shock if u can find 1