Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

ABS chatter, low pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Default ABS chatter, low pedal

This one has stumped three garages, the last being one of the local Toyota dealerships. I've seen this question posed before here, but the response doesn't solve the problem.

The symptoms are a low pedal; the abs kicks in during a stop when traveling at any speed, even 5-10mph. ABS light does not come on to indicate a problem.

The first garage couldn't figure the solution; the second garage replaced the master cylinder; then the toyo dealership replaced the pads, machined the rotors and bled the lines. The dealership has had the car for three days without coming up with an answer.

I've seen this problem posted on several forums, all give the same pat answers about the cylinder, pads, lines and rotors. There is no follow up past this point giving a solution that works.

Anybody here smarter than the mechanics I've been dealing with?

Old 01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Default RE: ABS chatter, low pedal

"...Anybody here smarter than the mechanics I've been dealing with? "

Judging from the lack of response, I guess not.

In case anyone else runs across the same problem, the Toyota dealership called back to say the problem is a faulty ABS actuator and priced the fix at $400. After some arm twisting, they agreed to fix it at no additional cost.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Default RE: ABS chatter, low pedal

of course the mechanics are smarter, they have the upper hand..they were able to test the brake system..