Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Question brakes

I just bought a 99 camry and the brake padel when stopped would continue to the floor. I have bleed the brakes with a complete fluid exchange. Still the same I put in a new master cyclinder a bit better but still goes to the floor. Also I bleed the brakes again with a complete fluid exchange and this time the fluid was light green in color. The first time I bleed the brakes the fluid was a rust color until the new fluid came threw, and about three days later i replaced the master cyclinder and now the fluid is that green color. I have been working on cars off and on for about 40years and have never run across this before. Does anybody have any suggestions on this and why the pedal keeps going to the floor. I other thing the car brakes ok on the test drive even in a panic stop.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest you keep bleeding until the fluid coming out is the same color as the fluid in the brake fluid bottle.

Have you tried to first bench bleed the master cylinder before installing?

This is done with the cylinder off the car. Use sections of tubing to route the fluid from the cylinder output brake line ports back into the the fluid reservoir. Hold the cylinder in a vice or build a fixture, use a screw driver or rod to push the piston.

Check all the brake lines, caliper pistons, slave pistons (if rear drum brakes) for leakage. Check the front flexible hoses running from the chassis to the caliper for swelling when the brake is applied.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Question brakes

I did brench bleed the master cyclinder and the first time I bleend the brakes clear fluid was coming out of all four wheels there is no leakage at any of the wheels. Between the first bleed and second was only about four days. With the second time clear fluid was coming out again I plan on checking the power booster next I forgot to do that yesterday the car is my sons and he is in school now so I need to wait to test.

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Suggest you keep bleeding until the fluid coming out is the same color as the fluid in the brake fluid bottle.

Have you tried to first bench bleed the master cylinder before installing?

This is done with the cylinder off the car. Use sections of tubing to route the fluid from the cylinder output brake line ports back into the the fluid reservoir. Hold the cylinder in a vice or build a fixture, use a screw driver or rod to push the piston.

Check all the brake lines, caliper pistons, slave pistons (if rear drum brakes) for leakage. Check the front flexible hoses running from the chassis to the caliper for swelling when the brake is applied.