Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Changing struts, is it a significant difference??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Default Changing struts, is it a significant difference??

Hello fellow camry riders,
I have a 2009 Camry which I got used at 78k miles and now has completed 90k miles. Recently I have notice the ride has become bumpy and sometimes the front bottoms out which was not the case earlier. I inspected the struts and they do not appear to be leaking and car comes back in 3-4 cycles when pushed manually up and down. I asked a mechanic and he suggested to change the struts to improve ride quality.
However I was wondering, is the camry soft/bouncy from factory or if changing the struts will make a significant difference to ride quality/handling. Wanted to get some opinions from people what was the difference after they swapped the struts.
I have been trying to switch to a better handling and sportier car and this seems like a good opportunity, getting a good deal on used 2016 v6 mustang(18k miles) for 15.5k.
Not trying to compare Mustang vs Camry but what do you guys think?

Old 09-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Personally unless the strut has failed. Have never noticed much difference in ride when changing to them with the typical street type original equipment struts offered by most auto parts outlets.

If the suspension is now actually bottoming out on the same roads, this is not normal. Is your seat and chassis being hammered when hitting a bump or do you just feel it?

Ride is supposed to be soft but you may still feel bumps, road grooves, RR tracks, etc. Its not a luxury car ride.

Which model Camry do you have? The SE has the firmer ride.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:29 PM

I have LE, on the bump its soft and normal but I can feel suspension travel is increased when I ride on uneven roads even at lower speeds.
Also the other day, my wife also complained that it felt like a trampoline