Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Clunking noise and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Default Clunking noise and Vibration

Hi, I am new to the camry forums as of today. Ive owned my camry for about three months and its been doing this ever since Ive owned the car. Every time I go over a bump or anything it makes a very loud clunking noise, also when Im going anywhere between 60-75 mph the car shakes very bad and makes that same noise. Ive had it at tires plus twice to have them check things out and they said that they couldnt find anything wrong both times. I had new tires put on today and they checked my alignment and everything was up to spec. Im thinking that this is a strut mount problem, what do you guys think? also I was looking at napa and these camrys have a front stut plate/ bearing what are these?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Default clunking noise under car

I own a 2009 camry se and since the very beginning have experienced clunking noises when going over slight bumps (like a recessed manhole cover) or wavy/uneven road surfaces. The car has be in the dealer 6 times, which in turn created new issues since they took the windshield clips off both the front and rear windows - causing the front dashboard to creak, vibrate and rattle, as well as issues with the rear deck. I guess they didn't listen when I stated that the clunking was coming from UNDER the car. They "claim" that they were able to get another 2009 Camry to duplicate the same clunking noise but never took me for a test ride in that car to show me this. They claimed it was a customers car and it wasn't there when I went to pickup my car - EVEN when I told them I was available all day to meet with them. So that makes me think that they could not figure out what is causing the clunking and they just tried to say it was a "known" issue with them and that there was nothing they can do. I certainly got the run around and I can't help but think that it is because it is non-paying work because of the warranty. I'm trying to seek out further options to get these issues resolved which should not be happening with a new car and only 6,000 miles.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 AM

I replaced the strut mount today... and same issues. Once I hit 60-70mph the car starts shaking really bad and its coming from the front right side. Im thinking that it could be a bent or bad cv axle?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 AM

sounds like a bad cv joint to me. $80 and about 1 1/2 hrs time depending on your experience level.