Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

factory ride height of a 2000 Camry CE

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Default factory ride height of a 2000 Camry CE

Hello. My sister has a 2000 Camry CE which was previously our mom's car. It's got something like 200k miles or more and most of them are with it loaded down with stuff. The car is still in shockingly good shape, but I drove it the other day and the shocks are shot (to be expected after that kind of abuse). What I'm not sure about is the springs. My sister thinks the car is sitting a little low, but I'm having trouble finding the factory ride height specs. Does anyone know where I can find that? Also, while I have the struts off to replace the shocks and possibly springs, is there any other common wear item down there I should look at? I checked out the linkages briefly the other day and everything seemed pretty tight, but I didn't get a chance to really get under the car and examine everything. Ball joints? Bushings? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Might ask about ride height at the Toyotanation website.

Typically the rear is higher then the front, thus if the reverse there is a problem. Sagging springs is not a normal issue unless constantly overloaded.

The front/rear upper strut mounts can degrade and cause a knocking noising when going over bumps (common).

Some times the front up strut bearings will make a popping noise when the steering wheel is moved when stationary.

The sway bar bushings can wear out but these can be changed with the suspension still together.

Not common but check the front lower control arm bushings where the arm attaches to the chassis for degrading, tearing, etc. Same for the rear arm bushings.

Ball joints failure not that common, use pry bar to check for play should be none.

You can get an idea of any play by grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and shaking it.

Check for excess steering play, unusual tire wear.

The dust/dirt boot on the strut can tear. You can inspect for failure when still on the car.

Monroe has a combo strut/spring package if needed.

Also check the axle boots for tearing.